Fair compensation question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by WinecountryFlyer, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was on AA flight120 on 11/20 from JFK-CDG for a week vacation (treating my mother for her birthday), when our flight was diverted to Gander, Canada due to electrical system malfunction. We were stuck in Gander for roughly 12 hours while a new plane was flown in from JFK with new crew. AA did put us up in a local hotel for a 5 hours while we waited from 2:30AM-9:00AM before being taken back to the airport. We then waited for 4 more hours as the new plane taking off from JFK was delayed before being able to finish the flight to CDG. What is fair compensation for losing 1 day of the vacation along with non-refundable tickets (30 euros) and one night non-refundable hotel in Paris? If it matters, we were flying International Business Class ("I" fare I think).

I'm not greedy and I'm very grateful that we made it here safely. However, I do feel something is owed and am wondering what is considered fair?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to guess nothing. Maybe a few token FF miles to your account but other than that, nada. They got you to your final destination. A few years ago I was delayed leaving Medellin Colombia for about 6 hrs due to the incoming flight being late and the crew needing rest. They sent us to a local hotel as well and gave us lunch there. Other than rebooking everybody, they did send some folks on Avianaca and Copa flights, we got 10-15k FF miles and a "sorry" for our trouble.

zpaul likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received 15,000 miles for a 24 hour mechanical in Brussels this year. I'd think something in the range of 10,000-15,000 miles would cover the inconvenience part and would be proactively offered if you complained.

As to hotel and other expenses, I'd document the loss and ask them to cover it. If they don't agree to do that you'd need to decide if it's worth your time and effort to pursue this in small claims court.

zpaul likes this.
  4. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't all airlines flying out of European airports supposed to give cash compensation after a certain number of hours delay (the 24 hours would certainly qualify for that)? (EU Regulation 261/2004)

This was an issue when the volcano erupted in Iceland and grounded a bunch of flights. There was also some talk of some airlines (including US) trying to weasel their way out of that mandatory compensation and being less than forthcoming about their obligations.

From a little searching, provided it was a flight over 3,500km, it appears you should have been eligible for €600 compensation, free meal calls and hotel accommodations. You could have also gotten a refund after 5 hours for your flight.

Not sure, but I think you might still be able to file a complaint and what you're owed.

5. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines based in the EU are always subject to its compensation rules; other airlines (such as AA) are only subject to the rules on flights departing from the EU. This flight was to CDG, so out of luck on that front I'm afraid.

ossipago likes this.
  6. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only the delay had happened in the opposite direction?

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA denied my claim, stating it fell into one of the exception areas. I didn't pursue it past that. It must be a pretty frequent complaint as the topic is on their drop down menu of topics for customer service e-mail. They did cover meals and hotel. My flight was literally cancelled at the gate just before departure.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does all that apply also in case of a mid-flight delay? (assuming, for a second, that the flight was either operated from an EU airport or by an EU carrier)

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your attitude is commendable. You have your priorities straight.

First, I wouldn't worry about the non-refundable hotel cost. You have not paid more for hotels than you would have if the flight operated on schedule. I wouldn't worry about the 30 euros non-refundable tickets either. Whenever we book something non-refundable for our first day at a destination, we are assuming the risk that we won't arrive on time. We can insure that risk, or self-insure it. You chose to self-insure it.

What you are out is the day in Paris, with all the experiences that you would have had. AA should compensate you for that. For now, I would suggest you enjoy your vacation and deal with this when you get back. If AA has not already contacted you by then, I would contact them and suggest a compensation that will satisfy you. Remember that the easiest compensation for them to give is miles, and the 15,000 miles (per person) that tom911 received is apparently doable.

10. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is unsurprising that they would claim it falls into one of the "exception areas" since they would be out hard cash, on top of the meal/hotel costs, on top of forcing them to being more responsive to passengers.

I personally would have pursued it some more. I believe there's also a form you can fill out with the EU to report non-compliance/evasiveness on the part of the airline with the regulation.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you to everyone who chimed in with their opinion as all view are appreciated. AA has already contacted me indicating that they are going to credit me with 20K miles for my troubles. I'll take this as fair compensation based on the above and move forward. I am thankful that they were are able to get me here safely and feel that should cover my losses. At this rate, I'm that much closer to being able to take another flight to a destination of my choice.

Lyssa likes this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good going!

I'm still trying (unsuccessfully) to get KLM to roger up to paying our hotel and meals for the volcano delay. No luck -- cheap folks.

May just have to contact the EU folks to see if they can "persuade" KLM to do the right thing.

13. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't know and haven't paid much attention but re volcano i would expect in the EU this is an all or nothing question- in terms of everyone gets it or- force majeure- no one gets it.

14. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have expected credit vouchers good for one year on American Airlines for at least $300.00-$500.00 US Dollars per person for your 12 hour plus delay due to their mechanical failure. As you have taken the offer of 20,000 frequent flyer miles per person, this compensation is about the same. I would also expect American Airlines to still give you the option to adjust your return segments times and dates without penalty, to help you protect the length of your original trip.

15. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the off-chance that you are still in Paris (which I don't think you are), be sure to get ice cream at Berthillon on Ile Saint-Louie. Just trust me on this one.

Mike