Failed Suite Night Award (but still a good room)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Jul 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    To start: This is not a rant. I got an upgraded room above what I redeemed points for - a "Deluxe Ocean View Room" and it is really nice... we have a sunset view that's quite spectacular.

My Suite Night Awards, however, didn't clear. 6 nights requested at the Sheraton Maui starting tonight. They are completely booked, so I understand. It's the first suite night award that hasn't cleared and is also the longest one I've requested to date.

I'm REALLY unclear what Suite Night Awards are supposed to do vs the standard Platinum upgrades. In this case neither worked (because nothing was available). Is the only difference is that SNA's can clear up to 5 days in advance where regular plat upgrades are processed the day before/day of arrival?

Again, not a complaint about this property or how they've handled even being able to provide an upgrade. I got what I redeemed for PLUS a fantastic room class upgrade at a sold out resort during peak season. I'm just underwhelmed with SNA's and wished they applied at the time of booking.

Edit to add: The Westin and WKORV are sold out, too, for at least one (if not more) nights in my range.

marcwint55 and sendaiben like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's it - 5 days vs time of arrival but it is also a bit of a mystery to me

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes the categories for SNA include more than standard suites, which Plats are entitled to if available at check in.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree I am also unclear. I have actually gotten the same room on a Plat UG as I did previously on an SNA...Westin Maui was always pretty good to me for Plat Upgrades.

Insofar as the sold out situation, this is by far the most crowded summer we have had in recent memory. Hawaii Visitors Bureau says it's the biggest season ever. That place must be a zoo...:eek:

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And of course properties can go above and beyond that entitlement as well.

SNAs presumably put you at tge fr9nt of the line, let you plan slightly 8n advance, and may get you into a room you would otherwise not be offered (but could be). They could also preclude or enable a more generous upgrade at check in.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it's this ambiguity, as a Plat, that's confusing. I fall back to the dates. Apparently SNA's can clear up to 5 days in advance. I have absolutely no doubt that this property was sold out before the five day mark hit... but from previous discussions it seemed like the SNA's were handled by computer (meaning the property had little or no discretion) vs. Platinum upgrades which are handled manually by the property itself - sometimes before check-in, sometimes at check-in.

We got in yesterday afternoon. Checked in, unpacked, headed to Boss Frog's for chairs, umbrellas and snorkel gear at a MUCH better price than on-property (the trade-off being we have to keep up with them all week). We're looking at what activities we want to book and already finding some are pretty booked up. Not in a bad, nothing's available kind of way, just have to pick and choose between dates and times.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The explanation I've seen is that SPG "controls" some inventory from the properties for the SNAs, though I'm not sure how much (if any) inventory a property is required to put in this bucket. I haven't had much luck with it, either. That being said, I can't get my Ambassador to get me connecting rooms. :(

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would make sense, especially since you can "choose" which Suite types you're willing to upgrade to (I'm guessing to only "burn" the cert if the suite you want comes open). I've had them work in some places - this is the first time I'd tried to use them at someplace actually likely to sell out. My last sell-out experience was a Platinum 48-hour guarantee for HIMSS in New Orleans, where I was able to get a room in an otherwise overbooked hotel (that was also oversold).

As for the connecting rooms, I'd definitely escalate that. While I know the Ambassadors have no direct control over room assignments, I'd certainly expect that to be a conversation they could reach out to the hotel for... and keep me from having to do.

estnet and marcwint55 like this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Suite night awards are awesome, and the point of them is pretty obvious: More power to you! It takes the upgrade decision out of the hands of the employee that greets you at the front desk. Example: St. Regis San Francisco is notorious for not giving away suites even if they are available for sale. (well, a lot of Starwood properties are like that). If there's a Astor Suite available for sale 5 days out, boom, that suite is yours.

So I only use those 10 nights for the most important stays at properties that are known for holding back upgrades

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I had one clear two days out when I thought I would not get it.

tommy777 likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably a good use strategy. We've got several in play for a St. Regis stay in San Juan next month - suite upgrades at St Regis properties are definitely worth it (and we used them at StR SFO ourselves).

To an earlier poster: it's busy, but not overwhelmingly so. Activities are booked up quite a ways. I tried to book the Jeep excursion on Lanai and it's already booked through next Wednesday (but I only found out about it via MommyPoints' blog this week). Flexibility is the name of the game.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

Me too. The last time was at the stinkaroo St. Regis DC. No Caroline Astor suites available 5 days out, but at 2-3 days someone canceled and I'm quite sure the suite got loaded back in to inventory automatically and it cleared for me.

When I checked in, they were puzzled I was upgraded ;) LOVE to stick it to properties like that.

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We are booked there in November, and to be safe I have two reservations. One is for the room with a suite upgrade requested and the other is for a suite in case the upgrade doesn't clear.

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

Great strategy. I did the same thing for the Sheraton Kona, but ended up canceling the reservations due to sketchy reviews... ;)