Facing backwards for sleeping

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by ducster, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in a rear-facing flat bed on BA recently, and I slept really well, possibly because of having my head above my feet. I'm flying SEA-FRA on the A333 and TLV on the A346, and wondering if it's possible, given the configuration of the seat, to sleep backwards when in flat-bed mode, i.e. put my head where my feet would normally go. Thanks!

Chimpy likes this.
  2. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that LH's seats are not fully flat, but angled-flat. They have a fair bit of incline and if you lie on the seat the "wrong" way, your feet end up being quite a bit higher than your torso and head. I'd say the height difference would be at least a foot, probably even more.

The other thing to watch out for is that the legrest of the seat extends into a recessed space in the seat in front of you. There is enough space to fit your head, but should you awake with a start at some point during the flight, you might bump your head on the seat casing.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks alex0683de for adding the picture- I am had a real chuckle imagining someone attempting to sleep on the LH seat in the "wrong way". The head banging alone would probably get to be quite painful in the event of turbulence :)

bez7 likes this.
  4. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the OP didn't say which class he/she would be travelling... ;)

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point Newbie Runner :). Please let someone post a picture of a customer flying "backwards" in F. Come on.. you can do it.

6. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the plane's fuselage at cruise is usually angled 3-4 degrees nose-up, so an angled lie-flat business class seat like the one pictured above is closer to horizontal than it looks.

7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops! I did forget to mention that I was in F, which I think are flat beds. So I was most concerned that the foot of the bed would taper in some way into the seat casing, causing a lot of head-rattling. Thinking about being backward on a lie-flat is a most funny image. Not so comfortable unless you're a vampire. :)

Chimpy likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    F is flat on LH. You will be fine- no need to lie backwards (which for some reason still leads me to chuckle).

9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a feeling it would cause a few chuckles!

Chimpy likes this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear this a lot about angled-flat seats, but they all seem like "wedgie seats" to me, so whatever effect cruise angle has on the way a seat feels must be very minimal.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some profess to preferring to lie backwards in AA F (Flagship Suites) for more privacy. These are fully flat (and also fairly wide, with armrests retracting to widen and flatten the surface).

12. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a different story if you're in F - the seat does go completely flat as others have said, and there is enough room to lie back-to-front if you prefer to do so.

I thought you would be flying Business Class because you mentioned a rear-facing seat on BA, which can only be their Business Class product Club World.

13. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for me. :( I've never managed to get F seats to go completely flat on 747, 340, 330 and even on 380! On older planes some wire has been pulled too tight to prevent the backrest from going horizontal. On a brand new 380 it was still not completely flat. :mad:

14. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lying head-to-foot in LH F might break the seat. One's upper body is a lot heavier than one's legs are. The [relatively flimsy] legrest is not designed to support the same amount of weight as the back and seat of the chair. The legrest also has several bumps and layers and a metal bar that pivots out of it. I can't imagine it would be a satisfactory sleeping surface.

[​IMG]