Facebook Estimates Put Fake, Questionable Accounts at 83 Million

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they are classifying both my real and my fake account as undesirable :D

MX, viguera and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some would argue that.....Facebook as a whole is the " undesirable " odd one out!:eek:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    "We estimate that “duplicate” accounts (an account that a user maintains in addition to his or her principal account) may have represented approximately 4.8% of our worldwide MAUs as of June 30, 2012. We also seek to identify “false” accounts, which we divide into two categories: (1) user-misclassified accounts, where users have created personal profiles for a business, organization, or non-human entity such as a pet (such entities are permitted on Facebook using a Page rather than a personal profile under our terms of service); and (2) undesirable accounts, which represent user profiles that we determine are intended to be used for purposes that violate our terms of service, such as spamming. As of June 30, 2012, we estimate user-misclassified accounts may have represented approximately 2.4% of our worldwide MAUs and undesirable accounts may have represented approximately 1.5% of our worldwide MAUs."

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would happen when people begin to believe that Facebook spams their lives?

6. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    This is definitely believable. Just search around once in awhile and you'll find a bunch of spam accounts or blue heads with no posts or friends. It's beyond me why Facebook hasn't gone in the ways of Myspace yet... it's horrible UI has been a forced part of my life for too long.

I'm stuck using it for family and businesses, but I mainly use Google+ now. So much more substance there...

MX, HaveMilesWillTravel and SC Flier like this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we have any similar estimates for Milepoint accounts? :)