Facebook changes- a discussion

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Sep 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lots of joy, angst, and apathy out there about the new Facebook overhaul. Yes, this isn't strictly "travel technology", but it is so ingrained everywhere that it does have strong travel technology implications.

For starters, here's a good article about the changes, the reasoning behind them, and the intended goals:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/09/facebook-new-profile-apps/all/1

2. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a fan of the changes. I wish we would have the option to switch to the new version, as we did for a time before it changed not too long ago.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    They suck.....

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am gonna have to look at Google Plus.... I really don't like it, at all!

The reality is that my primary interest in FB was maintaining closer contact with 10 siblings and 75 nieces and nephews. I'd like to think where they go, I will go but the truth is I may just have to maintain less contact with them.

Have I said I do not like the changes?

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The facebook changes are all a precursor to their new Timeline setup. But the whole business of "modules" and embedded music makes me think of MySpace 3 years ago.

Then again, 2011 is not 2008... the bandwidth wasn't there, nor was HTML5 and the processing power of some of today's computers, so we'll see how it works out.

I've been playing with it so far and it's not bad, although I'm more fond of Google+ for "professional" stuff.

timeline.jpg

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely the changes would make it easier to maintain contact with them, as it allows you to group them into a special newsfeed where only they can be heard.

I quite like the timeline feature, but it does display absolutely everything so I had to go through past years and selectively remove some embarrassing comments :p

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I understand they are rolling it out through the system, but not all at once; with 800 million users it will take a bit of time. Your screenshot shows that you have the features now, or maybe you're using the beta? I have some of it on mine, (the right side newsfeed in particular) but still have a lot of the old interface.

It does look interesting, and it is important that, as samh004 says, we can go back and delete some of our history.

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm just exhausted with everything moving on the page all the time. I can't click on what I want to see. When I try to do so, the page has usually moved and I click on the wrong item.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're phasing it in but everyone should have it by the end of September. The option is there for facebook developers now to switch their profile, but only other developers can see it now, not the general public.

It's an interesting feature, but the problem -- just like with everything facebook -- is that they're saying "here, this is what you're gonna use now, love it or go away", which is what sort of turns people off to the whole endeavor.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a fan of the changes and all their recent changes. Nowadays I barely log in to Facebook, partly because of the many changes they had made recently, it was hard to keep up.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gargoyle like this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The changes mean less FB time, more MP/FT time. ;)

12. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would fix their ridiculously buggy iPhone app, which is how I normally have to access Facebook since it's blocked at work...

Gargoyle likes this.