FAA: Tablets and Phones Permitted on Entirety of Flight

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gtitan, Oct 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    estnet, Newscience, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  2. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hurrah for the triumph of common sense!

viguera, mht_flyer and flyforawg like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's next? The end to security theater? Nah. Too many people making money off of that. :(

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful change, took way too long for them to get here with this. Good stuff.

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'm personally for the change, I hope they ask people to stop watching/texting/working while the safety video/demo is on. In case of emergency, I want informed pax around me, not a bunch of 'chickens with their heads cut off."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    KENNECTED, Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  6. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they will - but I'm also sure enforcing it isn't going to be easy. Even now, with devices banned until after takeoff, you see passengers ignoring the FAs in favor of reading their paper book or magazine, whispering to their neighbor, or simply spacing off. Some people are just foolish, unfortunately.

(I suspect this is also why the ban isn't being lifted on phone calls, as opposed to WiFi and other electronic stuff. Someone chatting on the phone could keep a lot of people from hearing the safety demo, while someone reading on their Kindle is not directly interfering with others listening to the lecture.)

Newscience and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear ya. I really have no issue with e the FFs not paying attention; I could recite 3 versions of the DL safety video by heart. I just hope the 'once-in-a-while' pax pay attention.

Newscience and viguera like this.
  8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    People chatting on the phone in the metal (or composite) tube would probably increase the air murder rate. At least it's more likely on flights I'm on. :p

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, unfortunately I think this would only lead to more passengers ignoring the safety briefing, because quite frankly even though we've known for a long time that this should be allowed, a good deal of people didn't do it because it was "the rules."

Funny how those people would feel now, especially the ones that used to chastise others about turning off electronic devices, when they see that somehow things have magically changed overnight and you can continue to use your laptop / tablet / whatever from gate to gate. Same goes for the FAs that would insist that the devices had to be turned off rather than just in airplane mode.

But going back to the main problem, I think we'll see a lot of people just spaced out completely and ignoring any sort of announcements.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll ask and everyone will continue to ignore it, just like they do today.

kwai, mht_flyer, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a deadheading pilot sitting next to me Tuesday morning otw to JFK and he was texting all of final!

viguera likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if there's going to be some kind of backlash from the FAs or the airlines as a whole though. Right now the FAs can (and often do) "ask" you to turn the devices off and put them away. If they're particularly pushy, they can "make" you turn it off, and if you don't comply you're basically breaking the law by ignoring the instructions of the flight crew.

Now with this ruling they can't really force you to do anything unless you're in clear violation (like on the phone for example) or perhaps being disruptive without heaphones or something of the sort.

Newscience likes this.
  13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the large number of airports offering pre-check, security theater isn't really the inconvenience to the frequent traveller that it once was.

Newscience and viguera like this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, the TSA will flight like tooth and nail to keep their size. If ending security theater we'd need many fewer

flyforawg likes this.
  15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA thought Pre-Check was too good, so they are trying to slow it down. For example, by inserting random pax who don't know how it works, increasing mag sensitivity, more random swabs for explosives, etc...

Also the equivalent of Pre-Check seems to be the norm in many other countries. I never have to take off shoes in Europe, for example.

flyforawg likes this.
  16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kind of like how today they ask you to put down your reading material? Though I think the pax who can recite it from memory and are reading or using devices will probably be the ones most able to help...

Maybe they can eliminate the part about how to buckle and unbuckle a seat belt.

17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank goodness, it's about time.

I doubt it...I ready something today by the head of the American Airlines flight attendant union saying something along the lines of "this is great, now we don't have to be hall monitors anymore." So I figure the FA's aren't going to bother trying to enforce anything now, which all in all, will be great all around.

viguera likes this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a "top 10" list from today's Washington Post about the FAA changes:

"Here are the FAA's top 10 things passengers should know about expanded use of a personal electronic device (PED) on airplanes:
    1. Make safety your first priority.
    2. Changes to PED policies will not happen immediately and will vary by airline. Check with your airline to see if and when you can use your PED.
    3. Current PED policies remain in effect until an airline completes a safety assessment, gets FAA approval and changes its PED policy.
    4. Cellphones may not be used for voice communications.
    5. Devices must be used in airplane mode or with the cellular connection disabled. You may use the WiFi connection on your device if the plane has an installed WiFi system and the airline allows its use. You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, such as wireless keyboards.
    6. Properly stow heavier devices under seats or in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing. These items could impede evacuation of an aircraft or may injure you or someone else in the event of turbulence or an accident.
    7. During the safety briefing, put down electronic devices, books and newspapers and listen to the crew member’s instructions.
    8. It only takes a few minutes to secure items according to the crew’s instructions during takeoff and landing.
    9. In some instances of low visibility -- about 1 percent of flights -- some landing systems may not be proved PED tolerant, so you may be asked to turn off your device.
    10. Always follow crew instructions and immediately turn off your device if asked."

In all honesty, I feel quite sorry for the flight crew who will have to enforce these new rules for PEDs. I fly domestically almost weekly on SWA, and it's often a challenge for the airline personnel to try to get passengers to listen to them, as they're generally ignored, as the Wandering Aramean points out. I can't begin to list the number of times some idiot decided that his phone calls were more important than the plane actually taking off.

I recall a few times that the guy I sitting next to me decided that his calls and texting were so very important, that when the crew asked that "all electronic devices powered off", the phone got hidden until the crew member walked past them, and then they snuck them back out for another call.
    I'm sorry, but I don't really don't need to hear these idiots talking during the flight.

Airline personnel have no way of knowing if a phone is really in "safe mode" or not. Are they telepathic or do they have x-ray vision? Are they now going to have to manually check each and every PED? How do you say "incredibly delayed takeoff"? And I've read some of the public comments that airline employees provided the FAA about their (then proposed) ruling. Most all comments were against these changes occurring in the first place. I'm beginning to think that it's easier to be dog catcher or garbage collector than to work for the airlines!

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't always the airports offering pre-check, but also the airlines. BDL now has pre-check (just opened), but the line is almost always empty, with TSA agents asking people in the security line if they pre-check on their ticket. BDL (like BWI) is largely an all SWA hub, and SWA hasn't yet offered pre-check to it's passengers. :(

viguera and flyforawg like this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That list is directly from the FAA, FWIW.

Newscience likes this.
  21. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    [off topic]
    About a year ago, I was in an exit row, aisle. The other aisle was a deadheading pilot and at his window was an older lady. She was not paying attention to the safety presentation, and afterward, he called her out on it and quizzed her on opening the window. I was waiting for him to ask me so I could tell him not only that I knew how, but that I had done it at AA FA school on OWMD ;).

22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, I feel sorry for the air crew who try to enforce these FAA regulations. There are too many boneheads who feel as though their conversations and texting trumps common sense and air travel safety. Common sense and courtesy cannot be legislated or dictated.

FetePerfection, flyforawg and viguera like this.
  23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And someone with an earpiece and microphone on a cord can appear to be talking with someone/seatmate while actually having a phone conversation. This is going to get messy quickly.

Newscience likes this.
  25. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Point 3 is going to make this a cluster-f...! IMHO FAA should not have announced until a hefty percentage of airlines were compliant. I can't wait to see what happens on my next flight which is Saturday on UAL. If UAL has not completed it's assessment by then, the FA's are going to play hell getting people to shut down (worse than before). These headline-only-reading-knuckle-dragging-mouth-breathers may even cause disruptions as they will claim, that "they saw it on line that is was OK". I'm glad Jet Blue has already come out of the chute with their announcement, but they basically have only two types in their fleet. I got a feeling the legacies are going to take a bit of time.