FAA: Sorry, No More Seat Belt Extenders!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.kmbz.com/FAA-Sorry-No-More-Seat-Belt-Extenders-/13981577

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Monday that 30 percent of adults in the United States are considered obese. Given that statistic, it may come as no surprise that there’s a market for selling seatbelt extenders for in-flight use.

But the Federal Aviation Administration has cracked down on those personal extenders, saying last month in a memo to airlines that they should not be used.

A seat belt is required for every passenger on board a flight. Airlines provide extenders, which, along with seat belts, are inspected and maintained under each airline’s Continuous Airworthiness Maintenance Program, according to the FAA.

While some seat belt extenders may be labeled FAA-approved, the agency warns they are not inspected and maintained and should not be used.

An Amazon.com search found several options for personal seat belt extenders, some labeled FAA-approved and others purporting to be designed for a specific airline. They can be purchased for as little as $37.

Read More: http://www.kmbz.com/FAA-Sorry-No-More-Seat-Belt-Extenders-/13981577

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about an FAA approved girdle for those needing it. It might keep some people from taking up close to two seats and squashing their flight neighbor.

kwai, LETTERBOY, cvsara and 1 other person like this.
  3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that, is why, just as soon as those of us who sit down, and don't qualify for one of those, makes sure the arm rest is lowered and arms on them immediately.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Economy seats actually aren't that bad if you aren't overweight. The number of people who complain about them seems to have increased as has the rate of obesity.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, but you say that as a guy and I really wish they'd have women test these things, especially ones who've popped out a kid or two.

I can't help that my actual hipbones are wider (even without padding, which in my case is mostly in front of me or behind me and not on either side at the point where the seat impinges) than is comfortable in an economy seat, especially with my speedskater build.

Yes, I'm overweight, but economy wasn't all that comfortable when I was anorexic, either, because the width of my hips was only 1" narrower than it is now.

I'm not every case, I realize, but economy seats were always that bad for me.

Blue Skye and marcwint55 like this.
  6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to buy that E+ seat, or (gulp) First Class). I have to think that, and pardon me if I'm wrong, hip bones don't grow and diminish with weight gain or loss, just the stuff around those bones do. But, (IMO) those that are a bit overweight should consider those seat-mates, when making those reservations. I don't mean to be rude, but those other persons who are in coach, paid for that seat too, and do deserve to have all of it to them self's.

mrredskin, LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right: hip width doesn't change significantly with weight gain or loss, much like shoulder width does not. I'm a men's 2XL in the shoulders, always have been. I have extremely massive bone structure that can't be seen through with ultrasound (which is unusual), so much of my weight is super-dense bone and the muscle to support it.

You assume that because I'm overweight, I'm impinging. I make a point of not impinging. I buy a window seat to have space to lean into. I don't use the armrest.

Also, E+ is no wider than regular economy on most airlines, so that doesn't solve the problem.

Also, as another point: fat compresses; muscle and bone, not so much.

8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, sir, I didn't say you were over weight. You might have, but I didn't For all I know, you might be 6'7" and maybe under weight. Yes, a window is your seat, of course, and you don't have to fight for it from me. I'm an isle guy, and know what it is to get up for A & B seats. That comes with the territory, so no matter to me. I don't mind coach, so much for having to get up, or E+ either, for persons that want to get up, just so ya' don't have to P-- every 30 minutes. The big fear of the isle seat is that you're right under the overhead luggage compartment. Now, that is a major concern for us isle persons.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is certainly not comfortable if you don't fit, whether you're too wide or too tall, and whether it was nature or nurture that got you there. But it also isn't economical to run an airline with nothing but lie-flat F seats. My comment was more to say that we shouldn't blame the seat, which overall fits a large variety of people.

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Further, those of us who know we don't fit should plan accordingly. I do generally fit, but with achy knees. And I make a point of not inflicting my knee position on the seat in front of me. But I definitely work for the exit row.

Not to get sidetracked too much here . . .

11. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knees should not be a problem, even in a UA coach seat. Mine have been used and abused, by me, (catcher, tower climber) now I carry a knee pillow when I work, Yes I still do that work thingy, but even on a plane, I can get my legs out in front on me, so the seat in front has no impact on them. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    touche.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the second time I've been called sir on this board today. :rolleyes:

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for the time I had a bouncy preteen in Y- and an injured right knee. At one point, I actually screamed involuntarily (awakened from sleep). They moved the bouncy kid to the middle seat as that was easier for all (and nowhere else to move the family).

15. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a freaking joke that is. :rolleyes: How often do you "maintain" your car seatbelts? All of the extenders I've seen have been a lot thicker than the typical car seat belt. And what exactly can go wrong with these in even abnormal use? They aren't going to be stressed to the point of breaking.

This is a ridiculous ruling. The problem already exists. They can't undo this. Plus we're getting fatter, so more and more people will need these. The airlines aren't going to be able to stock enough of them on each flight (or at each gate). The next news story will involve some family of large people getting removed from a flight because the airline didn't have enough extenders.

There's probably some stupid lawsuit behind this.

16. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you're over 6'0 then you have a legit gripe, considering airlines have down their best to squeeze in extra setas by taking away seat pitch. this has nothing to do with this topic, tho.

Scottrick likes this.
  17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    not really sure how you can make that claim, speaking for others. I've done coach on UA LAS-IAD several years ago with a full reclining girl in front of me. Knees were a problem - even in a UA coach seat.

18. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm betting your height is mostly in your torso -- a great configuration for E- seating. But the point is that others, with height mostly from long femurs or width in the hip region, are often very uncomfortable in the seat that fits you well.