FA Hierarchy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    On sCO int'l flights...what's the difference between the International Service Manager and the Flight Service Coordinator. Who's above the other?
    Is there a similar distinction on sUA flights between the Purser and someone else?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, it's the same role. sUA and sCO had different titles for it, but it's the lead FA on the flight.

Misplaced Texan and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think on sUA it's called Purser... which is a name I like better than International Service Manager or Flight Service Coordinator.

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I'm concerned they lost the right to use maritime terminology when they changed the overall label.

If they want to use Purser, they should go back to being Stewards and Stewardesses.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

ssullivan, COFlyerCLE, estnet and 2 others like this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:

I get dibs on First Mate.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always thought that "stewardess" was a more alluring title than "flight attendant." "Stewardess" was an exotic occupation. It carried more of a glamorous image. Maybe I'm just old, but I like it a lot better than "flight attendant." Call the guys whatever you like, but the women will always be stewardesses to me. I am, however, smart enough to be politically correct when referring to them in a business situation. I will always say, "Flight Attendant," while thinking, "Stewardess."

radonc1951 and rggale like this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with Steward?

8. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I rule, I use the term steward / stewardess for most premium foreign carriers, ( i.e SQ, EK, LH, EY, BA, QF, LX etc), because that is an appropriate term to use. I would never call a Singapore Girl a flight attendant, good heavens no. She's more than that.

The steward on swiss is much more than that. He's a cabin steward. Usually good looking. The purser is the maitre'd cabine. ( how fancy.....)

Flight attendant is a term I reserve for North American carriers including Air Canada, United, Southwest..

An older term would be "conductress"....

I have other terms I use for those that work for American Airlines (or airline I hate), in the profession. These would include such terms such as "bitxx" , "grandma" and "satan", among others or at a minimum, "miss".

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How droll of you! :rolleyes:

If I caught anyone calling someone a witch just because they worked for Aerolineas Americanos for no reason apparently you can believe me I'm going to call them a douchebag.