F on 777 vs 767

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Efilon87, Jul 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if you had the choice of flying F on 777-200 LAX-MIA and using the "premium"/AC lounge or F on 767-200 to LAX-JFK and using the flagship lounge, which one would you choose? Lets just say you would arrive at your final international destination, Rio de Janeiro, at the same time and cost would be the same (in a perfect world)... Thanks!!

All travel on AA.

~Efilon87

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one is basically a coin toss. It probably comes down to if you plan to sleep on the flight. If you want to sleep, go 777 for the lie-flats.

If I were not sleeping, I'd probably take the 762. I think the LAX FL is the nicest lounge in the AA system. It is usually quite quiet (compared to the masses in the AC). I'll often arrive an hour before boarding, take a shower there and have a bite to eat in the club. While the 762 interiors are dated, I find the seats more comfortable for sitting. And, if traveling with a companion, I find the pairs of two plenty spacious, but still good for private talking (unlike the center pair seats on the 777).

With the 762s going away, if you've never flown them in front, if you care about trying things at least once, this may be your last chance! (You could also use the slightly less nice, but nicer than the AC, JFK FL as part of your journey.)

If you do take the 762, here is my post on the pros and cons of each seat in the F cabin. I've sat in them all. :)

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/f-on-762-what-to-expect.15079/#post-660697

Let us know what you end up doing!

JetsettingEric likes this.
  3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing that Efilon87 is talking about the JFK FL vs. the MIA AC, as they'd have LAX FL access in either case of F on a three-class transcon:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

The MIA Admirals Clubs get very crowded before South America departures, but I'd personally take a Flagship Suite on the 777 and a less positive lounge experience over F on the 762 with JFK FL access any day of the week.

Interested to hear what you go with!

4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, just purchased my ticket. Had to redeem 125,000 miles at the AAnytime level, stung a little, but I believe its worth it. Due to someone mistyping the airport code on TOBB, I was able to find the 777-300 flight into GRU. Though I did have to pay for the TAM flight to GIG. United operates flight 861 from GRU-GIG, but when I called to inquire about the pricing, the agent says the flight doesn't exist. Heres my itinerary:

LAX-JFK
    AA 767-200
    Seat: 3D
    (Hopefully the Captain Kirk seat opens up)

JFK-GRU
    AA 777-300
    Seat: 1G
    (Hopefully one of the window seats opens up)

GRU-GIG
    TAM A319
    Seat: Not Assigned

Any advice on what to expect onboard the 777? Does the crew do turndown service?

Thanks for all your help and advice. I'll post pictures and a Trip Report when I return.

~Efilon87

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, they do, but you might have to (repeatedly) ask for it.

6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I ask for it at the beginning of the flight or before I want to sleep?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Typically after the meal service and you're ready for bed. Slip into the lav to change into your pajamas and that will give them time to set it up.

Efilon87 likes this.