F on 762 - What to expect?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by martinfoss, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I will be flying in F on a 762 in about a months time. from MIA to JFK.
    Just being curious: What can I expect from the service on board?

Also: How are the middle, single seats like? I'm wondering if I should try one or not, for the sake of "privacy", or just stay in my window seat for the view.

Opinions on which side of the plane gives the best view is also appreciated :)

Gargoyle and zpaul like this.
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Middle seats aren't my favourite, as they're not private at all as you're really in the centre of things. Due to the pitch in F on these birds, don't be concerned about grabbing either a window or aisle on the sides as your neighbour will have plenty of space, as the bulkhead is well in front of row 2, and even if the person in front reclines and you're in row 3 there's plenty of space.

As for catering, you can find the wine list here, sample meals available here (scroll down past the coach BOB options), and entertainment options here.

zpaul likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hold a different view on this these topics. My priority of seating, assuming a full cabin, is 2D, 3D, 2H, 2J, 2A, 3H, 3B, 3J, 3A, 2B.
    • If you're in a row three window seat (3J, 3A), and the people in row 2 and row 3 aisle recline, you'll be doing some serious acrobatics to get out as the backrest of the seat in row two overlaps the footrest in row three by about nine to twelve inches.
    • That overlap makes it difficult to even keep your feet pointing upward or to turn from side to side, if you have larger than average feet.
    • If you are going to do a window seat, definitely go for row 2 (bulkhead). While you'll still potentially have to climb over your seatmate's footrest, you won't have a backrest of the people in front of you to contend with.
    I really prefer the center, single seats on this plane. 3D center has the same overlap issue that the window seats do, but you don't have a neighbor so it's easier to get out at least.

What I like about 2D is you don't have a neighbor, and you have many feet of legroom, and no problems putting your feet in any position that you'd like. During boarding, you'll get a lot of people cutting across in front of your seat (in that legroom area), and sometimes the FAs go through that area as well. If your legrest is extended, I find almost all use the corridor on the forward side of the cabin wall. You can also ask the FAs to use the corridor, which I've done once or twice (politely), and they always comply. While you're not that private in 2D, you're also slightly in front of the other parts of row 2, and if you're reading a book or some documents, its easy to forget there's others seated near you. I like this. While you're not partitioned off, you're in such a spot that you won't see much of others while they're in their seat.

3D doesn't have the foot traffic problem, but you have to contend with the backrest of 2D. I take the risk of foot traffic over the risk of the backrest. If you think the probably light traffic will bother you, then 2D might not be for you.

I dislike 2B because it juts out into the left aisle, and invariably someone coming forward from J to use the F lav will bump into the seat pretty hard on the way back (particularly bad on evening flights). Also, the majority of people boarding the plane will bump into this seat - either with their leg, their arm, their bag or some combination of the foregoing.

I prefer the right side of this cabin to the left, simply because you get less traffic in the right hand aisle throughout the onboard experience.

My family of four flew JFK-SFO return earlier this year on AA's 767-200 in F. On the return, our family was the only group in F and I let the kids have a little more fun than usual. Here is hopefully the worst case scenario of what could be in front of you if you sit in 3J. (Again, rest assured, I wouldn't let her do this if there were others in the cabin.) You can see the closeness of the center drinks tray in row 3 to the backrest of a fully reclined row 2.

[​IMG]

4. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Quite a detailed post about the seats. I actually ended up switching to 2D.

I assume that this wont be a huge problem on my flight, as I've understood that MIA-JFK is a two-class route, and that the J-cabin is used for Y-class pax? At least that's what Expertflyer showed.

5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    2A is my favorite!!! First to get out of the plane!!! LOL

MX likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call.

I fly on this plane in this cabin a lot. There are 10 seats, I've tried them all...

Contrary to AA's policy, on many of the flights from JFK (which are sold as three-class on the 767-200), FAs announce that pax aren't supposed to cross cabins. Against that, invariably a few cross cabins without being scolded. I suspect you'd find the same even if sold as a two-class.

zpaul likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I'm in 2D, I nearly always am off before 2A! ;)

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    how was your flight?

zpaul likes this.
  9. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I never got to try the 762.

My routing for this flight was CVG-MIA-JFK. However, when arriving at CVG the evening before, I received an SMS from Tripit Pro, telling me that my first leg (CVG-MIA) was cancelled, so I ended up flying CVG-ORD-LGA instead, flying in F on an MD80 instead of the 762 - which still was a good flight.
    A bit annoying, as I booked that routing just to get the 762 crossed of the list, and even paying more than what AA wanted for the routing that I actually ended up flying.

Luckily, I was still at the airport when being notified of this, so I went straight to the ticket counter. The AAgent first wanted to rebook me onto a delayed Delta flight that same evening - why she wanted to get me to NYC that same evening, when my original booking was for the next day, I don't know. She ended up re-booking me on a direct Delta service the next day, giving me the impression that all AA flights were full.

Being grateful, I went to my hotel, had dinner, slept, and got up the next moring, now having to catch a 2PM flight instead og my original 7AM (still getting me into NYC at about the same time as originally booked). I then "accidentally" checked aa.com to see if there really wasn't any available seats on AA from CVG to NYC - I found plenty, going via Chicago, and even the "Instant upgrade" fare that I had originally booked, was available. At this point, I started wondering what the AAgent from the night before was thinking - as I was originally booked on a "slightly" longer routing than the direct flight, why was she insisting on booking me direct when there were plenty of seats via ORD?

I then checked out, and made it to the airport, to AAs ticket desk, asking to be reebooked back to AA, which was no problem. I even got a seat in F on ORD-LGA (I understand that you might not get that when being re-booked on the instant upgrade-fares), so I was in the end happy, just to get to New York, flying AA metal, and getting the F seat - even though I could have paid a lot less to fly this routing in the first place.

And there's not a "fun" trip without delays. Due to weather in Chicago, my CVG-ORD was getting slightly delayed - two-three hours or something- so again I was rebooked onto a later ORD-LGA flight. I was getting a bit worried when the gAAte AAGent couldn't check me in for that flight, but I was at least able to choose a seat in F on the AA iPhone app, and ended up sitting in a less than full F cabin.

When we finally took off, ORD had decided that they wanted all traffic in from the west - and I was departing from an airport southeast of ORD. The schedule in the timetable is about 1 hour and 10 minutes, suggesting a flying time of little less that an hour - the flying time on this flight, was 1 hour and 39 minutes (although ending up being slightly less). Then, when we landed at ORD, there had been a fuel spill at our gate, so we ended up being parked on the tarmac for about an hour, before they could find us a new gate. When we finally got to the gate, my next flight was supposed to have left, but was delayed, so I still made it with several minuted to spare -.and that included time to print a new boarding pass, as well as a quick restroom stop.

Finally made it to LGA at about 7PM (should originally arrive at JFK at around 3PM), and to my hotel on 51st/Lexington an hour after that (where I probably would have been at around 4PM).

10. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might as well share a few pics from the trip..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gargoyle, zpaul and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics. Make sure to request original routing credit.

12. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uhm, yeah, I was considering that, but decided against it.

At British Airways, we gain status by earning Tier Points. For me, as a European citizen, it requires 400 for Silver (OW Sapphire), and 800 for Gold (OW Emerald).

After this trip, I was going to end on 790 Tier Points. On domestic AA flights, you get 60 Tier Points for F-class on flights below 2000 miles, and in Y, you get 10 or 20, depending on fare bucket (20 for YBH, 10 for the rest).

While booking, I noticed that going via ORD, would book me into Y on the CVG-ORD leg, while the routing I actually booked, booked me into, I believe it was G. So to put this simple, the longer routing, gave me less status points.

So, I could have gotten my Gold card by booking via ORD, but I decided to try the 762, and fly a three hour F flight on a widebody, and rather get those final 10 TPs later.

However, when I was rebooked, I was put into Y, and received 20 TPs instead of the originally planned 10. I arrived home to OSL on a Thursday, points posted on Friday, and my status showed Gold on Saturday. At that time, I didn't want to bother BAEC with the downgrading me again, etc. etc. :D

I see that I lost about 1242 miles, and in the big picture, it's really not that much - at least not for me, and considering the total "payout" on this entire trip.

13. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done then!

zpaul likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will miss these old 767-200s (though will welcome the new 321s!).