F Class Lounge in HKG

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by somempire, Mar 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be arriving from DPS-HKG-LAX on F. The Wing F is being renovated. Any suggestion what lounge(s) to use?

jbcarioca and gleff like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Pier is a FCL in the 60's gates, I would rather stay in the Wing Biz area at the Noodle Bar since it's more "airy".

jbcarioca and gleff like this.
  3. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have the daybreak rooms inside the F section of the Pier lounge to rest privately in if that's what you're looking for. The rooms have a chair where you can recline plus a PTV. There is the Haven restaurant to enjoy buffet selections as well for that lounge. And it doesn't hurt to ask one of the waiter/waitress to see if they can make something a-la carte for you just in case the selections you see at the buffet doesn't seem too appealing to you.

There is also the QF F lounge where after getting airside at the 7th level you would make a right turn to access it.

Both the Pier and the QF lounges have shower facilities.

anabolism, sobore, NE Flyer and 4 others like this.
  4. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, if you want to access oneworld lounges other than that of your operating carrier, you have to be oneworld emerald (for first lounges) or sapphire (for business lounges).

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thew Wing is still the place to be IMO. The cabanas were open during the renovation process when I was last there in late January. The FC dining room was still open too, FWIW. Overall the Wing has been fairly quiet during renovations because so many people stay away IME again. Of course, the piers are always an option.

anabolism and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a cabana March 1.

Personally looking forward to the new dining room, I'm not a fan of the old one at all. I've been there when there was a long line to get in. And it's not even all that pleasant, I'd rather just make a plate and head back out to the couches overlooking the terminal.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The old dining room has suffered during the renovation with a "buffet" reminiscent of something in another, less sybaritic, part of the world. The dim sum are OK, but not enough space for a good selection. The new room will, I hope, be worth the wait. The wait has been very long.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The old dining room has suffered during the renovation with a "buffet" reminiscent of something in another, less sybaritic, part of the world. The dim sum are OK, but not enough space for a good selection. The new room will, I hope, be worth the wait. The wait has been very long.

9. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not anymore:
    The F section of the Wing officially closed for rennovations on March 11th while the J section reopened on January 31st following its rennovations.

sobore likes this.
  10. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly this still suggests that you need to be using the lounge associated with your operating flight. :( Compare with the section above:

11. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    That condition is only stating the rules of access for someone with status of the top two tiers, hence it is mentioned on the section of access according to tier status instead of the section that states the condition according to the class of travel. I don't see it as an interpretation to suggest that one can only go to the the lounge designated by carrier he/she is flying on without an Emerald or Sapphire status.

Previously, there was a condition on the website that states:
    This condition is no longer to be found anywhere.

12. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be fair if they have removed the condition because, really, why shouldn't a paying F/J pax have access to another oneworld lounge. I wonder how it is playing out in practice though - have different airlines interpreted this differently?

For example, access to Qantas lounges for non-status pax in premium cabins is granted only if the next flight of day is on a QF or BA flight number. Cathay Pacific, however, seem to grant access to their lounges to passengers in premium cabins on any oneworld carrier.

Is it a case the new rule not being rolled out to Qantas yet? Or are the rules up to the discretion of the individual lounge operators?

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    The question really ought to be why an F/J pax who has paid airline X for travel but has no oneworld status should be granted access to the lounge of airline Y merely because airlines X and Y are both in the same alliance. There's no obvious commercial logic.

Indeed, one could legitimately ask why a oneworld status pax who has paid airline X for non-F non-J travel should be granted access to the lounge of airline Y merely because airlines X and Y are both in the same alliance. After all, that pax may only ever fly airline X, and be of zero commercial value to airline Y other than in whatever lounge access fee it charges to airline X for the pax's visit. The obvious position would be to allow such a pax to have access only to airline X's lounge on the basis of the status alone. But it's a bit easier to see the longer-term commercial logic of reciprocal cooperation in relation to pax who are of demonstrated commercial value to at least some parts of the alliance and who, as a cohort, should be encouraged to fly airlines of that alliance instead of those of other alliances.

However, that reciprocity is absent from the first situation. Fairness doesn't even enter the equation, nice as it is that some airlines do grant such access.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Er, from that site:

International First oneworld customers Next onward flight that day must be on a oneworld operated and marketed flight#.
    One guest allowed.Must be travelling on a oneworld operated and marketed flight#

Rejuvenated and wingspan like this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, assuming one wants to visit the Pier F section while the Wing F is closed, about how far of a hike is it? And, is there not a blocked off section of the Wing for F pax (during renovations)? If so, what extra amenities can one expect over the regular Wing J offerings?

Rejuvenated likes this.
  16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new shower suites at the already rennovated J section of the Wing are very nice. Not the cabana style found prior to the closure of the Wing F, but very nice with a definite new feeling. There are also solus chairs + noodle bar/buffet selections for food selections.

17. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last few times through HKG, I have gone straight to the Pier F lounge vs the Wing with the construction going on. Are the J showers in the Wing better than the F showers over at the Pier?

Rejuvenated likes this.
  18. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally find them to be so - beautiful and a new fresh feeling to it. But no private day break rooms in the biz section of the Wing.

CrazyMonkey likes this.
  19. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I will be through HKG again next month and may have to check it out before heading directly to the Pier...

Rejuvenated likes this.
  20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how far is the hike?

Rejuvenated likes this.
  21. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can walk or take the train out there...the Pier entrance (escalator or elevator accessible) is near gates 65-67....the trains will drop you off with a 3-5 minute walk....if you walk from security (near the wing), it is a solid 15-20 minutes.....

Rejuvenated likes this.
  22. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though keep in mind that you cannot take the train in the opposite direction (Pier to Wing) as that direction is only accessible for arriving passengers.

anabolism and CrazyMonkey like this.
  23. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Very true....

Rejuvenated likes this.
  24. md504

md504 Active Member

Status Points:
    Read somewhere that Cabanas can still be used. Is this correct?

Rejuvenated likes this.
  25. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cabanas cannot be accessed as the F section of the Wing is currently being rennovated and will continue to be so for the next couple of months. You have the option of the day break rooms at the Pier. Not as nice as the Cabanas, but will still provide privacy you need.