EZE Premium service

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by jbcarioca, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho recently commented about the AA2000 VIP lounge and services so I thought I should add comments. I flew out last night on EK248 F which entitled me to the lounge.
    1) If you're not an experienced traveler forget about finding it, the lounge is lost just beside the Terminal A airport administration office.
    2) Once there I was greeted by two very courteous people who took my passport and boarding pass and processed my immigration while I sat and waited. My associate who was on the same flight had waited 25 minutes outside in the interminable queues, so he said. Thus, this seems to be a major benefit.
    3) Once the passport was processed I was led through a long featureless corridor until I arrived at the lounge itself. It was fairly large and nondescript with options for snacks and drink that were sufficiently uninteresting that I did not test them. The wines were of the type that probably could not be called wine in the EU because of non-grape content.
    4) I was the only person in the lounge. No customers, no attendants ever darkened my solitude.
    5) The wifi works, but just barely. The connection faded in and out at roughly the speed with which a binary star seems to.
    6) When it seemed time to leave I could find no way out so I wandered the empty halls in search of a human. I eventually found the obligatory attractive young woman who efficiently guided me to the door where her fingerprint allowed me easy access to the portals of hell.
    7) The empty dark hall had an elderly disused-looking elevator the door of which she opened. It stank, but it did work so we ascended to a deeper level of hell. (Only in EZE can one ascend to deeper depths, but there the depths seem deeper when one moves in any direction at all.
    8) The young lady walked along side me for a kilometer or so as we passed closed stores, rancid carpets, dirty walls and the odd unused boarding gate. Then, as we turned from a dirty carpet to a strange bubbly rubberized floor, totally featureless as far as the side could see, she said these immortal words "just continue straight along until you reach Terminal B, then continue walking through Terminal B until the end, where you will enter another corridor that will take you to Terminal C, from which your flight will leave. Your flight will begin boarding in another fifteen minutes so walk quickly". She spoke truthfully.
    9) When it became apparent that there was no end to the no-longer-carpeted but still dank, rancid and featureless corridor I discovered I had not been in the depths of hell at all, but only various previously undocumented levels of purgatory.
    10) Terminal C itself is clean, modern, attractive and pleasant. There are attractive closed shops (I suspect shops were closed to keep them clean from the dirty passengers who might buy things, but I am not certain about that.
    11) My flight boarded on time and I escaped.
    12) My colleague (who had many more problems than did I) and I were delighted to arrive back home at modern, well maintained efficient GIG.
    13) Moral: When Gaucho tells you something, believe him! He speaks truth! GIG is better than EZE. Everywhere is better than EZE, even GRU as hard as that is to believe.
    14) If you are forced to endure EZE departures, follow the advice of Gaucho once again. Have an excellent late lunch and drink some superb Malbec, have a little Mendoza-style grappa-like liqueur and go through departure buzzed. That will be easier. You'll be sober by the time you arrive at your departure gate after you walk the two or three kilometers to get there.
    15) I hereby apologize publicly for any doubts or aspersions I cast regarding Gaucho's descriptions of the joys of EZE. Just know that the world is upside down there so EZE is very, very difficult. It is not EZE at all.

estnet, CharlesG, IDGflygirl and 6 others like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks jbcarioca for the excellent description of EZE.

My favorite EZE adventure involves a group of us flying out on Aerolineas Argentinas- and the work we went through in the lounge to get just one warm beer each..... It was really warm- and the way our request was treated you would have thought we were asking for our aircraft to be replaced with a private jet.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  3. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes one would need to be crazy to pay for this service at the prices they charge. It's only for the mega daft with money to throw away, for folk who get it for nothing and for those who really shouldn't be travelling at all if they can't stand waiting in queues.

In defence of EZE I am fortunate that I always seem to leave and depart at its most quieter times. Think my record time from going through the departures boarding pass check to getting into a lounge is around ten minutes......It took me longer to do that at ORD when flying F.
    On arriving at EZE twenty minutes from disembarking to exiting arrivals has been achieved several times. Granted if you depart or arrive during its busier times EZE isn't a great experience but neither are most airports.

GRU in my experience is ten times worse than EZE.....ghastly place and to be avoided if at all possible. Other Brasil airports seem to be similarly tarred with the same brush.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no airport in the Southern Cone that I would recommend, frankly. LHR often is as bad as, or worse than, most of them, unless you are lucky enough to be there on a clear day with low traffic. Few airports anywhere are pleasant when they are busy IME, except for a handful of them in Asia, all new and well designed.

I would retract nothing I have said about EZE, other than the gratuitous negative comparison to GRU which was placed there for the viewing pleasure of a certain Argentine frequent poster on this thread who has chosen not to comment.

EZEIZA, IDGflygirl and Gaucho like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I say in my various trip reports... this AA200 VIP service is a disgraceful POS.

I hope the above is clear..... if anybody has question, please feel free to ask.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    But...you do get out of the emigration queue! And you do get calm while you're in the lounge. That is better than you get at GRU, BSB and GIG. OK, before you say it, that is hardly a high barrier..

Gaucho and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    True on all counts.... perhaps my issue with this VIP service is that for the important label and title it has, they should at least have some spoof juice that will cause you to get a bleeding ulcer. I dont expect Royal Salute 62 Gun Salute, but perhaps JW Black label and a choice of a few proper Malbecs priced at around US$40 to US$50 a bottle should be available.... its that the AA2000 are a bunch of bafoons.... and for you guys up north, the bad news is that AA2000 is in a consortium with a Brazilian Operator and they have just been awarded the operation of the Brasilia Airport...... that is not good news Im afraid....

EZEIZA and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered when you'd comment. I am too sad to say much.
    There has been progress here, but most of it is due to Customs adopting EU practice and eliminating forms. Baggage handing at GIG has also improved markedly. But these awards are not encouraging.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the sake of the upcoming Copa Do Mundo... I sincerely hope that the Brazilian regulators keep a close eye on what the bozos at AA2000 will do regarding the Brasilia terminal..... wonder how good the guys that JV'd with AA200 are, do you know them....?

jbcarioca and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Brazilian partner is Engevix, which has taken part in the recent work at many Brazilian airports such as CGH and GIG, hardly good recommendations. They have done nothing of which i know to suggest they'll add much to the operation of BSB, although they certainly knwo how to make money for themselves from Brazilian airport projects.
    That they bid more than 6 times the minimum suggests they'll find interesting ways to make this one profitable.

Soon we may find that BSB management will more nearly resemble EZE. Ah, great Mercosul integration! Just exactly what we had in mind when we set out upon these projects.:oops:

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so why dont we create an LLC, arrange for financing, find some paper partner with some industry expetise to show and bid for one of these contracts....?? Heck, Im sure we would do a better job than these bozos... :rolleyes:

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost think you are serious. We could, and the challenge is overdue. GIG is probably next up.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strike almost..... Im dead serious.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for a Conversation

Gaucho likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update on this......

I called my Citibank Concierge to book this "service" for my AA flight tomorow.... so when I call, they tell me that I how have 40 (forty), not 4 free passes per year for this.

Talk about benefit dilution....... :eek:

I have very low expectations for tomorrow... will report from the lounge on what, if anything, there is to report....

TheTravelAbstract and estnet like this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing to report?

Gaucho likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    no.... same old lackluster lounge, cheap spoof juice..... only perhaps some of the female staff are younger are more pleasing to look at, but thats about it....

jbcarioca and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Former Global Exchange employees? :oops:

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    No...... the AA200 girls are beauty queens in comparison....

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which Citibank card do you have that gives you free passes?

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a MasterCard Black and a Visa Signature from Citibank, but we are talking Citibank Argentina. Dont know if Citibank in the USA offers similar benefits.... Im sure they have others that are more interesting than this one, at least Ive seen some ads on TV that hinted at this.

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  22. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK. Thanks for the info. My GF has the Citi AArgentina card and I was wondering if she got any of those SUPER benefits.

We are heading to ASU on TAM tomorrow and it would have been great to skip the lines at EZE.

Now I will have to get her to shop around for some better CC's...

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CC to have for a lady is the MasterCard Black Women edition by Citibank. My wife says the perks are some of the best in the business.....