Extraneous Conversations

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Jul 19, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there some posting of spam in this forum?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    ?

sfo1 likes this.
  3. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    may be referring to some posts by a particular person...some are quite lengthy, some a bit like a rant and there is usually minimal reaction....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    KENNECTED, Weatherboy and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    some? More like most. And it is almost a "stream of consciousness" where the poster just starts typing whatever comes to mind with no thoughts to grammar, or paragraphs... or sense.

But who am I to judge! I just try to ignore the threads.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. cltgva

cltgva Active Member

Status Points:
    It's easy enough to block people on Inside Flyer, just hover over your user name on the upper right side of the page and then select "People You Ignore" and type in the person's handle. Then you won't see any posts, replies, or other rants by that person! Much more relaxing experience....

KENNECTED and 8MiHi like this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Negative. You still see any threads started by your ignored list (which I wish you didn't!)

alfagirl likes this.
  8. cltgva

cltgva Active Member

Status Points:
    True, but you only see the headline title, when you click through, you get an empty page (unless someone else [stupidly] replied) so you don't see the actual post.

It's a good idea, however, maybe they should not show us the entire thread started by people on the ignore list!!

alfagirl and misman like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure that's high on their list of enhancements to implement on this site :)

I flagged some real spam nine days ago and it wasn't deleted. Tells you something.

cltgva likes this.
  10. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to be diplomatic. But, yup, you called it.....

cltgva likes this.
  11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    done

cltgva likes this.
  12. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be "happy" to do my first block. It will be nice to be rid of the clutter.

brodyf likes this.
  13. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nevertheless this person is correct about the aircartel and its effects.

14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't been on here for a few months. Looks like one person has pretty much taken control of the UA forum. Some of the posts have absolutely nothing to do with UA, can this jibberish not this be stopped?

brodyf likes this.
  15. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Start a conversation with @Pizzaman as some others (myself included) have. You can ignore said poster, but that only works to a certain extent.

sfo1 likes this.
  16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks...:rolleyes:

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I definitely understand the concern. No question we have someone who's taken over the UA forum. But, honestly, it's not abusive to fellow members even though many of us find it annoying. It sticks out because there's so little traffic there (and many other forums). I'm still hopeful we can increase traffic to the point that things like this fade into the background. But, we're hesitant to censor this.

Dublin_rfk, anileze and alfagirl like this.
  18. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the vote for free speech.
    There is an unlimited supply of space here to bring people up to date on the good things the airlines are doing. I can start that conversation off with safety, but after that I'm drawing a blank. The top half of 1% of flyers might also have something to report.
    Wish the airlines hadn't made the choices they did, but they did.
    I also welcome debate and corrections of factual errors.
    Best all.
    A (once very) happy elite.

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Happy to engage in dialogue about your dialogue. :)

I think it's the time and frequency of your posts in comparison to others in that forum that makes it a bit overwhelming.

20. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Will try to modulate the timing etc.
    Do think the rapidity and breadth of deteriorations is hard to ignore.
    Seems like air travel has gone beyond getting worse every day: some single days there seem to be multiple deteriorations.

21. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am opposed to censorship myself; so how about a compromise?

Can what ahappyelite posts in forums such as the United Airlines | MileagePlus forum be consolidated into one discussion in each forum?

misman and Dublin_rfk like this.
  22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was actually thinking the same thing, but had not gotten around to posting it. As well as keeping it forum specific. If it ain't about UA (or is about multiple airlines,) put it in General Travel, etc.

ande777emt, Pizzaman and Dublin_rfk like this.
  23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    A much better and simpler idea than mine.
    ETA: and adds traffic to lesser visited threads.

24. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown CO/UA every week for the last 16+ years so I'm close to if not part of that "top 1%" you referenced and I along with other have made a conscious attempt to add some real useful content to this forum. Unfortunately, you seems to have stepped up your practice of starting new threads for every rant and it's buried everything useful under a pile of hyperbolic noise.

Can you please confine your shouting to one thread? I'd like to see this site succeed but with multiple 'rant threads' filling up the forum, no one is going to find any useful information here (which I think is probably what you want).

Thanks.

bmg42000, 8MiHi, Trustguy and 2 others like this.
  25. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    You have unrestricted space to post about the good things United is doing to improve air travel, and you started to do that-good luck!

The fact is the airline industry has been barreling down a breathtaking path-destroying its own offering at a breakneck pace: indeed, air travel is now almost incidental to what they do-sell miles, sell spots on lines they created, charge ransom to get out of seating designed to be tortuous, dangerous even, sell travel insurance, sell credit cards etc, sell space in packed clubs with sparse offerings. Webflyer is to be commended for allowing unshackled commentary about these practices and I believe the media and travel community is noticing: after years of silence, just now starting to see reporting about the horror show that mergers have created. With scores and scores of deteriorations, one could replicate the AP Newswire in posting deteriorations-some days seem to bring even more bad news than others. Those who wish to celebrate the good things mergers have brought no doubt are pressed to cite any evidence at all-though I know some very top tier folks may be less unhappy.

As I have said, any contrary views or factual corrections are welcome. Air travel has been one of mans great achievements. To see such a one of a kind experience debased. degraded and smothered because greedsters and the malevolent seek super returns at the expense of ordinary people is a travesty. Everyone remembers mileage runs, open jaws, strategizing about upgrades, pleasant surprises as airlines competed. Most of this has been killed dead as they say, and unnecessarily. I would be remiss to not mention that United has not been the worst actor during this dark period.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM