Extra stops to get miles?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by merice107, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Despite loving this miles game, I do not fly that often. The one time I normally do fly consistently is from Chicago (my location) to Providence/Boston during Christmas time. In order to gain more miles, should I try to have 1 or 2 (or more) stops to fly more miles and therefore acquire more miles? Is that essentially what a mileage run is? So Chicago-Charlotte-Philidelphia-Boston would be better than just Chicago-Boston?

However, if I use miles to fly, then I don't gain miles for flying the actual flight, making the extra stops irrelevant?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions.

2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not dumb questions. You could call that a mileage run but I'd look into the cost/benefit ratio (in terms of time as well as money) before doing this. The last thing you want to do is take a longer flight for a negligible amount of miles! http://www.gcmap.com might be of help.

Edit: You're right. Flying on an award will not earn you any miles.

edekba and merice107 like this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition make sure you are not booking a "direct" (but yet, with connection) flight. If the flight A-B-C has the same flight number ad the flight A-B and B-C, you will get only the A-C miles even it is much lower than the sum of A-B + B-C.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Taking those kinds of risks on a trip home during the holidays to see family is a bit dangerous in my humble opinion. If you're going to mile run or look to stack flights for miles, I'd only do that if I didn't absolutely have to be at the other end at a specific time or date.

Traveling at Christmas time has a lot of things that can go wrong, and if just one thing does go wrong it could set off a long domino of crap that makes you regret the decision. Let's say your plane gets stuck in Philadelphia due to snow. Or your plane has a mechanical issue. Planes are crowded that time of year and it might be difficult to just have the airline throw you on the next flight.

I'd really weigh the benefits of the miles against risking missing Christmas dinner. :)

merice107 and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes kinda. Most MR i've read about are just basically you get on a plane for no other reason then to get EQM/RQM ... so i guess taking detours can be considered MR. I do that quite often for work ... fly out the Sunday before hand and get there late.

Yeah I wouldnt do it during Xmas ... unless you really don't have a schedule to keep ...

6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fly often then a MR makes no sense. If you want to get elite status on an airline then a MR makes sense. (a round trip to Hong Kong in business or first class would just about do it in one trip for example. To make it work domestically you'd need to go west first (lax,sfo, sea for example) then back to Boston to get any real miles. Even the you'd have to do it 3-4 times to sniff elite status.

Now if you just want to earn miles for travel in the future, look into credit cards. Being in Chicago you are pretty lucky as everybody flies there. Pick the airline and program that works best for you and concentrate on them. Book hotels and rental cars through their website to get miles and do your online shopping through their portals (I know AA has the ability to get miles per dollar spent at retailers online through their site). Plus you can get airline miles for hotel stays if you are members of their programs. (I have all if them set for AA miles except Hilton. I may stay at 1 best western, Marriott or days inn per year and I just take the airline miles instead of the hotel points which I'll probably never use anyway.)

Just a few ideas. I'm in the middle of the country also (Houston) and milage runs from here are a challenge as well. (plus I prefer AA to UA but that's another kettle of fish)

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree w/Photonerd ... if he can take a detour for extra miles at no $$$ and he doesnt value his time that much; I'd say why not?

miles is miles ...