Extra perimeter-exempt slot from DCA-where will US fly?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Where will US fly from DCA with the one additional perimeter-exempt slot it is receiving?

1. 4th daily flight to PHX

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. 2nd daily flight to LAS

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. A new destination not served from DCA by any airline (SAN, SJC, etc)?

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. A perimeter-exempt city that is already served by another airline at DCA (LAX, SEA, etc)?

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen several sources this morning detailing that UA, DL, and AA have announced their intentions for the extra perimeter-exempt slot they are receiving at DCA, as follows:

• AA will fly to LAX using a 757. Unknown at this time as to which route that slot is coming from.
    • DL will add a second daily flight to SLC, flown by 757/737. Slot will be taken off the DCA-LGA route.
    • UA will fly to SFO with a 737. Slot will come from a DCA-ORD route.
    US is the only incumbent to not yet announce their intentions...who wants to speculate what it will be?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thought is that they would go after SFO with a 757. Too big of a market not to be served. The extra capacity of US's 757 over a UA 737 should appeal to congress. There is enough room for two daily flights, but this looks like too much of a cash cow just to cede it to UA. A US DCA-SFO flight would do well with connecting traffic, both on the US side in DCA and the SFO side with UA.

3x day for PHX should be enough. Connects to their major banks of flights. With all the cuts in LAS, i don't see another beyond perimeter spot be used.

Sean Colahan and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I voted for LAS, but that's more of a hope than what I actually think will happen. I think you could probably make a legitimate case for any number of cities.

Sean Colahan and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting from a fleet perspective--I've seen a lot of talk that the US Airbus fleet can't make it all the way to California given the length of the runway at DCA. So the first question is, does US have a spare 757 lying around to even make flying to somewhere like SFO a possibility?

Beyond that, as much as I would like to see it, I don't see US choosing a city that has competition from another carrier...they just don't seem to like doing that! If they do have a 757 lying around, I've always thought SAN would be an enticing option. Large population, not currently served...seems like it could also be a cash cow.

In the end though, I'm willing to bet that US plays it more conservatively and goes either to LAS or PHX.

5. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really hoping it's not capacity boosting to PHX or LAS. I can understand that, but it seems like the safe move. I'd much prefer a west coast flight, if they have a plane with the capacity and a spare. Remember they have to use one of their current slot pairs for this flight. I'd love to see SFO or SEA.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the slot has to be taken from a route flown to a hub, so I would imagine US will pull one of the 10x/day flights to PHL (especially since most of those flights are CRJs/RJ's, as opposed to the routes to CLT, which are all mainline).

7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The 319 can usually make it to the coast from DCA, the 320 is more likely questionable at times, and the 321, well, forget it...they have a hard time making the coast sometimes from CLT or PHL.

That said, I don't think LAS will get another flight--they have really drawn LAS down. My vote would be SFO with a 757....just sayin'

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read several pilots saying this isn't the case...that only a NG 737 or a 757 have the short-field performance necessary to get to the coast given the runway length at DCA. You mention a 319 can usually make the coast from DCA, but I can't think of an example of that happening--AS flies 737's to SEA/LAX, so the furthest we've seen a 319 go from DCA is LAS, at 2083 miles. SAN would be an extra 187 miles, LAX would be an additional 222 miles, SEA an extra 240, and SFO an extra 353, which (according to these pilots) would be beyond the performance envelope for a 319 from DCA.

I would love for them to be wrong, as one of these routes on US would be great...I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Sean Colahan and Dreamworks like this.
  9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would not be surprised if that was in fact the case, however, I know the 319 is the longest range of the narrowbody Airbii. You could be very right about the short field requirements--however, they have had the 319 fly LGA to AUA and LAS, if I am not mistaken (LAS could have been a 757 though). The difference in runway length between 1-19 at DCA and the runways at LGA is about 100 feet.

Sean Colahan and Dreamworks like this.
  10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're correct on the runway length (LGA is ~130 feet longer); LGA-AUA is "only" 1961 miles, or about 20 miles less than DCA-PHX, so that isn't a problem. But LGA-LAS would be interesting to know if the 319 could do that, as that's about the same length (well, 40 miles shorter) than a potential DCA-SAN route, for example. However, I don't believe there is any service from LGA to LAS, as LAS falls outside the perimeter, so I guess we don't know!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  11. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    There really should be two poll questions.
    1) Where do I think US will put the flight
    2) Where do I want US to put the flight.

Sean Colahan and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LGA-LAS was run weekly on Saturdays for a short while. The more I think about it the more I think it was a 757 to start with then a 319.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWA has applied to run DCA to OKC. They said it was the largest unserved market non-stop from the area. Don't know if that's true.

14. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they mean it's the largest unserved market within the perimeter from DCA (I can think of several cities outside the perimeter that are larger...San Diego, San Jose, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, etc), especially since this application is for the in-perimeter slot that DL used on DCA-SDF but gave up, and that US temporarily has rights to and flies DCA-JAN, if I'm not mistaken.

I expect we'll see an additional bid from WN for one of the four new perimeter-exempt slots in the near future.

15. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, just read this article at flight global talking about VX applying to fly DCA-SFO: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...lots-at-washington-national-cush-says-369236/

The bit relevant to our discussion of whether US's Airbus fleet would have the legs for the route:

"[Virgin CEO David] Cush predicts the airline will be able to fly the route with a full passenger load as the carrier is upgrading the thrust on its CFM56 engines powering its A319 aircraft. The upgrade is expected to be complete by the end of May. National's longest runway is only 2,094m (6,869ft), potentially creating operational challenges for certain aircraft and routes.
    Cush also says the carrier's sharklet-equipped A320 aircraft, the first of which is set to arrive next year, will fly on the route if Virgin receives approval.
    "In all likelihood, once we get a sharklet-equipped aircraft that's the first place it would go." Cush adds. "Our preliminary numbers show that we can carry close to a full load for us, probably in the 140 [passenger] range." Virgin's current A320 aircraft seat either 146 or 149 passengers."

Dreamworks likes this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) SAN
    2) SFO

Dreamworks likes this.
  17. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta tell you. From here at the KivaDo, I have come to love VX and would take them on that route without exception.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  18. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dreamworks and Sean Colahan like this.
  19. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news. Glad to see it's not another PHX flight. Did they take one flt from PHX to make this one work?

20. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where the flight came from, but it definitely won't be PHX. They wouldn't give up a perimeter-exempt slot for another perimeter-exempt slot...there'd be no net gain there! I thought the slot pair had to come from an existing flight to a hub airport (so I was assuming PHL), although I saw Cranky Flier tweet today that it's coming from an existing flight from DCA-DFW. Don't know if that's true, but for sure not PHX...

Dreamworks likes this.
  21. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet you everything will get worked out and no city that currently has service won't see service cuts (for now) once all the shots from the DL/US slot swaps go through. PHL would be my guess as well.