Extra/Forced Connection on Short Haul AA Flight: LAX-PHX

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by livefastdiefun, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming LAX-PHX flight and I'm looking to add/force an additional(s) connections to increase my segment count for the year (need it for a status level boost).

LAX-PHX direct on AA is $165 but when adding a 2nd or 3rd segment it jumps to $450+. Anyone know how I can add a 2nd or third connection while keeping the price under $200 for that trip?

PM me or post below. Thanks!

2. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have elite status now, I believe you could buy the direct flight and then try to stand by for a one-stop connection. But it is risky because you have to clear standby on both segments, and it's always possible that you won't clear the second segment and get stuck in the connecting airport overnight (and maybe have to pay a lot more to get home)?

I have often thought about trying it to increase my segments / EQM but ultimately have been unwilling to take the chance. Perhaps others have been more adventurous. Good luck!

malikguy likes this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's risky but very possible. You just have to make sure that the flights have space all the way thru. Also, SDC for $75 is a good option if seats are sparse, but you get confirmed all the way thru. If you are trying to standby for more than one connection, you will need to provide the flight numbers and correct routing to the GA.

dc_traveler likes this.
  4. livefastdiefun

Status Points:
    thanks everyone!

5. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.... I knew I could standby for a non-stop when I booked a connection, but I didn't know I could do it the opposite way. So I'd get EQM for taking the long way SFO-MIA-ORD even if I booked SFO-ORD?

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had problems with this because each segment requires a "coupon" in their system and swapping a connection for a nonstop requires additional "coupons." Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

dc_traveler and iolaire like this.
  7. livefastdiefun

Status Points:
    update: if you search on AA by schedule and max the results to 50 youll see more flights with connecting segments. The prices jump dramatically but at least youll see alternate route options.

malikguy likes this.