Extension of UA SWUs - will the policy continue?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tjtenor4, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, UA has allowed 1Ks to extend one SWU from a December/January expiry to an April expiry, once that 1K re-qualifies. I have one spare SWU with Dec. 2011 expiry that I would have a use for in Jan. or Feb. of 2012, so obviously I'd like to extend it - but I haven't re-qualified for 1K yet this year, so I can't call and make the request yet - and I am concerned that with the merger & associated changes to Mileage Plus, this policy will go the way of the dodo. If I am not going to be able to extend my SWU, I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I can start planning to "gift" the SWU before it expires. Does anyone have any insight into whether or not the SWU extension policy will continue? Thanks guys (and gals)!

cheepneezy likes this.
  2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gonna sound like a stupid question but have you tried calling MP to see what they say? Never hurts to play dumb and ask :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the agents necessarily know and even if extensions are allowed now, is it guaranteed that the policy won't change before the end of the year.

If you're close to requalifying for 1K and are told now that a SWU can be extended, it might be worth a MR to requalify and extend your SWU now rather than risk that the policy will be changed.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    True on both points but again, never hurts to play dumb and ask (plus with the new "enhancement" :rolleyes: that SWU's now post shortly after crossing over the 1k threshold vs posting on 1/1 of the next year, we have to call to get those "adjusted" so they expire on 12/31 of 2012)

5. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    00XXXXXXXXX

Hello Mr. EX-LAX,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

As an exception for you, if you are unable to use your early deposited 2011 systemwide upgrades prior to their expiration you would just need to call Mileage Plus in 2012 to make your request for extension.

Thanks for your loyalty.

Regards,
    D.B. - 1K Voice

My 6 SWU's are gone for 2011, but I guess a call in late 2011 to extend a Jan of 2012 to later in the year might work for you if you still have one on the books. I'm happy with my 1K Voice response, though!

kwai, goalie and tjtenor4 like this.