Extending SWUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In past years, UA allowed 1Ks to extend the validity of one SWU if it couldn't be used by the expiration date. I think most recently they extended it through April.

Has it been confirmed that UA still offers this for SWUs expiring in January 2011?

2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not yet and my gut feel (after talking to 1K and MP several times about this) is it likely will not happen this time for us. I think this merger is too painful for them so far and it's just one more thing I don't think they can handle (JMHO).
    John

PS: This has nothing to do with them extending SWU's people got mid year this year and will expire mid year next year. It has been confirm they will extend those out to 12-2012, but will not deal with those until after the first of the year.

catgirl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, this is about SWUs earned by making 1K for 2011 in 2010.

AZjohn likes this.
  4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deleted, I think I'm confusing with my PS. Yes, SWU's exp in Jan 2012 are not being extended

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I can't really complain -- if not for a bug in UA's software (or maybe a human error), I wouldn't have this SWU that's now set to expire "unused".

AZjohn likes this.
  6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I had one of those this year again too (seems to happen to me once every year). Was able to gift it away before it expired

7. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's too bad... I have one SWU hanging out there for January, so I guess I'll have to go hunting for a good W fare...