Extending Qantas Miles

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by free101girl, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I needed to extend our FF miles, which were set to expire at the end of February. We are in the US, so I wanted a quick and easy method that could be accomplished online with a US credit card.

On January 10, I logged into our Qantas accounts and in each account, purchased a $25 gift card from Qantas Box Office. Shipping was free. The 50 miles posted to each account on February 11, so pretty much exactly a month later. This extends our miles for another 18 months at a cost of $25 per account, and leaves us with gift cards that can be used toward purchase of an event in Oz next time we head Down Under.

Anyone know if there is a better/cheaper way for a US resident to accomplish this?

savydog, Chimpy, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  2. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    $25 sounds like the bottom of the barrel in terms of choices from USA.

In saying that, if you've already spent $25 and about to blow another $25, then be sure the miles you are keeping are worth the cost.

savydog and wingspan like this.
  3. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If all the accounts are part of the same family and above 5,000 miles and below 100,000 miles you could just transfer them into one account.
    With Qantas miles you can use them to redeem flights on American Airlines, cheapest award is 8,000 points one way, or fly on American Airlines to keep the account active, if there is a lot of miles.

4. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, transferring points to/from any one account does not make one an "active member".

savydog likes this.
  5. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that's the cheapest way. And if the gift cards have no expiry, it may well be the best.

For all things frequent flyer, though, I always argue that the "best" way to do things is the way that complements your life the most (ie if you're thinking of doing a JASA status credit run, do it when you actually NEED to be in a particular city for work, rather than doing it for the sake of doing it alone). Thus I would say that a nice way to keep the points might be to purchase flowers through Qantas Frequent Flowers and send them to a family member or friend for a birthday, so you earn points AND feel great AND make your friend/family happy. [​IMG]

savydog and Tim O'Brien like this.
  6. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    But that will save the multiple $25.00 you need to buy each 18 months to keep the account active.

LIke the 3 eye monster said, "then be sure the miles you are keeping are worth the cost".

B1BomberVB and savydog like this.
  7. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, there were enough miles to be worthwhile. Of course, literally a few minutes after I posted this, I found I needed some intra-Europe flights for this fall, and I ended up using most of our QF miles for flights on BA. So that was $25 per account down the hole. Ah well. :)

savydog likes this.
  8. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:

If you fly regularly in the US I'd recommend just taking a flight with AA and getting the points credited to Qantas instead of using AA. Great find with the $25 card though!

savydog likes this.
  9. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    another option would be purchasing something through Qantas' partners. ie - send flowers to come one etc.

savydog likes this.
  10. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    OOOOOH I see what you're saying! So you only need to keep one account active with $25 rather than multiple accounts with $25 for each! Gotcha!

B1BomberVB and savydog like this.
  11. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not down the hole - as you said you can use them next time you're in town [​IMG]

savydog and free101girl like this.
  12. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, good point!

savydog and wingspan like this.