Extended payment option, sign-up and get 5,000 MR pts.

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by sagefemme52, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this is new, but when I signed into my Gold card account today, I was offered this option. I'll post when I get the points, should be in ~ 6-8wks per T&C.

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX has been doing this for years. It is targeted, and the amounts offered can differ. I was given 1500 points. Mine posted in about 3 weeks.

3. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Points posted very quickly, it looks like w/in 10 days.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up Friday and my amex points showed up today, this was an easy 5k points for about a minute of my time.

5. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim O'Brien and PedroNY like this.
  6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried for my premier rewards gold, said unable to approve my request. I was asked to enroll when I activated this card two days ago. WTF.

7. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I signed up through the link, it worked for my account. Maybe it's a targeted offer? :confused:

8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I saw it too the other day, but I didn't choose the option since I was not aware of what it meant at the time and I always pay off my card each month. After I read this post I tried it and the link would not work. Got the card a little over a week ago. Guess I will watch my account and see if it pops up again....

9. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, was able to enroll for the 5k points. Hopefully posts quickly.

10. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enrolled and Mrs. PedroNY enrolled, 5,000 MR points within 24 hours. Thank you for this direct link, as when I called last month they told me they could not give me this offer. AMEX just keeps on giving this month!

Best,

PedroNY

Tim O'Brien and miles and smiles like this.
  11. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning 5k points showed up magically in my MR account. But it doesnt say where from. .... any way I can confirm its from the extended pay option? (I ask because I also am trying to get 10k from the insite deal)

12. Any way this increases chance for FR from Amex? I mean, doesn't this increase their liability? And they're cool giving 5k points for this?

Just wondering if this is indeed a free lunch (assuming I don't use it, of course).

13. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the extended payment option, my MR statement says "S&T Expo Enroll-5,000 pts." I know it's from signing up for it because I also signed up for inSite, but after the 5,000 had posted.

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX has been doing this for years, so they must get some people to use the option and end up paying interest to AMEX. I got my 1500 points (all I was offered) months ago and everything has been good since.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  15. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, just looked at it again, and confirmed the 5k is from S&T ..... yay.

Now to get my 10k for insite!

16. If you pay you card in full each month, is there any downside to signing up for Extended Payment Option for the bonus points? Is there a credit inquiry, or does it make your bill any more confusing?

17. I had been having trouble getting the 5K, had browser difficulties using Chrome which is not always amex friendly so enrolled over the phone, the CSR said no problems, will still get the points, have been emailing and remain optimistic that they'll pay the points but did notice in the T&C that they only allow one per MR account.
    Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670, 5671, or 5688

18. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really, as long as you never carry a balance, as you say.
    And it's not confusing at all on your bill (at least the online one).. they clearly tell you which items qualify and which are on it (if you use it). Mine always shows 0, of course!

19. unfortunately this link isn't working anymore, anyone have any alternative links?

20. Link working again. Signed up 11/3, pts posted today 11/5. Nice

21. sagefemme52
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just signed up my Platinum card. First, I got an internet message that told me I had to call, but all in all, maybe took four or five minutes of my time. Since the promo bonuses seem to much more difficult to get, this was a pleasant surprise.

22. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was one of the easiest ways to get 5,000 extra Amex points! Points posted very fast.

23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a message that promo was not available but may try calling tomorrow ;)

24. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up about the same time and no points yet. I got some snail mail today about my new enrollment. It did say 6 to 8 weeks.

25. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also had the points post within 2 days of signing up with the new link!