Express Service

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Erasmus, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starting with the February 15th timetable, Amtrak is introducing "Express" service in the Southern California corridor. One of the morning northbound Pacific Surfliners will skip most stops in Orange County, reducing the total travel time from SAN to LAX by about 30 minutes. At the same time, it greatly reduces the utility of the train for OC riders.

As someone who commutes daily on the Surfliner (and doesn't use one of the two OC stations that seem to be sufficiently important to be served by Express trains), this potential trend worries me greatly. Is anyone aware if this is happening on other routes (outside the Northeast Corridor)?

2. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not even 30 minutes. More like 17. The long term goal is to sufficiently delineate the local and express levels of service, and have all Surfliners serve fewer stops, similar to the NEC where the NE Regional serves fewer stops than the NJT/SEPTA, or the Keystone serves fewer stops than the SEPTA equivalent. The California Transportaion Commission and Caltrans are pushing the conversion to express during peak hours, while the LOSSAN Corridor (LA, San Diego, and Orange Counties) are less enamored of that idea.

3. lexande

lexande Active Member

Status Points:
    The only train skipping stops runs northbound on weekdays during the morning rush hour, when there is plenty of local Metrolink service. Expanding this idea to other times would likely require a corresponding increase in local service, especially at weekends (when Metrolink service is truly pathetic).

4. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say I'm familiar with the specifics of the California service, but I'm all in favor of Amtrak skipping stops to run additional express trains. I'n particular, I'd like to see less-frequent stops at the smaller stations on the north end of the Northeast Corridor (Mystic, Bridgeport, Old Saybrook, etc.) and along the Empire Service (Amsterdam, Rome).