Explorer award change question(s)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MarriottMarty, Jan 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MarriottMarty

MarriottMarty Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello all, I booked my first explorer award LAX-NRT/HND-ITM/KIX-GMP/ICN-HKG-CGK-KUL-DPS-KUL-BKK-AMM-TLV-MUC-DUS [19,772 miles -130K - all business except HND-ITM, TLV-MUC and MUC-DUS] starting April 30, ending August 19 for someone I know.

As many of her dates are guesses, my question is how easy is it to change flights [presumably by calling AA] assuming there saver business or economy availability [I know same airline and routing]. Does anyone know whether AA picks up the callers account info by phone number when they use VOIP apps like LINE, VIBER or SKYPE?

Also, if a business saver award opens up, can the passenger then change from coach to business on the same carrier/routing?

Just trying to prepare for the calls [from overseas] to change dates etc.

Thank you in advance for any comments. I am also glad to share anything about my experience and research.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is quite adamant that they do not have "Explorer Awards" -- I've made that terminology mistake myself. ;) The mileage based awards are called "One World".
    Yes, you can call and make a date change over the phone, provided there is award availability for the date you want. You may have to call more than once -- lately I've had very spotty luck with AA phone agents.

Likewise you can upgrade to business if it's available. But take a closer look at the segments where you are in economy. They may not even have a business cabin on those routes (it's definitely the case with AB).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The distance based awards are NOT called Oneworld awards. AA changed the name of the Oneworld award to Explorer award in the last year or two. The Explorer terminology is correct and is listed as such on AA.com and all its advertisements for this award. The term Oneworld award is the old name and it was dropped when AA re-branded their partner based awards as "Oneworld and Other Partner" and they needed to differentiate the award types

But a lot of AA's agents still use the OLD term for the award.

So to clarify, the award IS officially called an Explorer award. But when you talk to AA, you should be ready to use the term "Oneworld distance based award" if you get a stubborn agent who doesn't read their memos on policy changes to understand what it is you want. ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    brodyf, MX and flyforawg like this.
  4. MarriottMarty

MarriottMarty Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your comments and the clarification.

DestinationDavid and flyforawg like this.