Explore Farmers’ Markets While Traveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-far.../explore-farmers-markets-while-traveling.aspx

Make farmers’ markets a priority on your travel agenda and you’ll save money (no admission fees), go green (most markets showcase seasonal, sustainable products) and support local (slap that cash directly in the farmer’s hand).

For the past couple of years, we’ve traded our Wisconsin winter for a few weeks to work on writing projects and articles for Hobby Farms on the California coast. Indulging in the farmers’-market scene is the equivalent of a therapist’s couch for our frozen Midwestern souls. We see happy people holding fresh spinach, and the -20 degrees F wind chill back home melts away as a far memory.

You don’t have to be escaping parkas and snowplows to appreciate a farmers’ market while traveling. We seek out local markets year-round wherever we may roam. According to USDA statistics, farmers’ markets grew in number by 17 percent between 2010 and 2011. Tanking economies may just be what folks need to connect back to their food roots, craving a better quality, authentic connection to what’s on their plate.

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-far.../explore-farmers-markets-while-traveling.aspx

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I would attribute the growth to the economy. Food at farmers' markets generally isn't cheap.

iolaire likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. At times it is a cheaper option for a quick meal vs. local restaurants. Usually a bit healthier with many fresh produce options.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Farmer's markets are also a great way to learn about the region you are visiting. Whenever I have gone to Kauai, I have made the island's wonderful farmer's markets a priority and I have learned so much about local foods (and enjoyed some I had never heard of before).
    In another part of the country, Madison, WI's farmer's market on the Capitol Square is a 40 year old institution that is also a lot of fun.

cennas, HiIslands and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to Madison many times and never realized they have a farmers market!:oops: Thanks for the tip!

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes,and it's way more than just a farmer's market. It's a full community experience.
    http://www.dcfm.org/

cennas, MSPeconomist and sobore like this.
  7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oahu's Kapiolani Community College farmer's market (Saturday mornings) is excellent:
    http://kapiolani.hawaii.edu/object/farmersmarket.html

Some recent offerings:
    • Nalo Greens from Nalo Farms, Waimanalo
    • Sweet corn from Nozawa Farm, Kahuku
    • Kauai shrimp by Ceatech, Kauai
    • Farm raised moi by Cates International, Oahu
    • Organic grass fed beef from North Shore Cattle Company, Haleiwa
    • Vanilla beans and extract from Hawaiian Vanilla Co.
    • Flavored mochi crunch by Pound da Mochi, Honolulu
    • Organic eggs by Blue Lotus Farms
    • Aged honey from Manoa Honey Company, Honolulu
    • Heirloom tomatoes from North Shore Farms, Waialua
    YUM!

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to go to this farmer's market most Saturdays in the Summer when I was in college there. Always a great experience.

Didn't know they also have it indoor now!