Expiry of status for IHG

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by WilliamQ, Jan 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    In January last year (2014), I did a status match for IHG with HHonors and got IHG Platinum.
    The email from IHG states that the status is only valid till end 2014.
    The card they mailed me last year however states <EXP 2015>
    My online account and web however still shows Platinum.
    Did I accidentally received a 2 year Platinum instead of the intended 1 or will this status disappear soon? I am trying to see if I should be booking 1st quarter stays with IHG, HHonors or SPG.
    If I do not have Plat for IHG, then the choices will only be SPG or HHonors.

Has anyone's status already "dropped" due to failure to re-qualify?

Thanks.

uggboy and Thomask like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am fairly certain that the status would have expired 12/31

you can call and ask... worst they can do is fix the problem but at least you won't have any doubts about when your status would expire.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hahaha.
    From your answer, there seems to be no problem to fix :)
    And since my card says 2015 and the web + app still shows Platinum, I must be platinum :D
    Of course I will know for sure very quickly by just booking a stay and then checks in :cool:

uggboy and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I mean... obviously the "problem" is the uncertainty, because by all indicators you should have soft landed, but you didn't. Now you go about your business and get a surprise when you least expect it... :)

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    you do realise this is IHG IT we are referring to :p so given it's just a few days into January, and the number of IHG members they have, it could be a periodic sweep scheduled to reset the status, and the system hasn't got around to doing it yet. Read on TOBB that some members had reported getting the status downgrade on 18 Jan, so it could be coming up.

So may be best would be to take it that you would be downgraded and take status maintenance as a bonus. Also depends on when your stay is (January ?) and how important the Plat benefits are for your upcoming stay

viguera, uggboy and Lionell like this.
  6. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like their IT system has had some issues these past days, myself being unable to login to the IHG site, ITN & SYS promo dashboards. When I contacted IHGcare on twitter, they didn't give a straight answer and asked to email them... Systems were up and running again before I received a reply to my emails, so my guess is that one of their IT clowns was updating systems.

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 digit PIN for logins is a good indicator that they don't give a ratsa** about their IT system.

daninstl, Lionell, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  8. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a status match in 2013 December and still have Platinum as of this moment (although I failed to qualify last year). Crossing my fingers and hoping it will stay for another year!

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will drop off at some point. Keep in mind that IHG seems to use anniversary dates for loyalty in some cases (like credit card status) so it may drop after you reach 12 months from your match. Just guessing though of course. You can get Platinum status with the IHG card btw.

WilliamQ and markcwj like this.
  10. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately WilliamQ and I are both based in Singapore so we do not have the luxury of getting IHG Platinum with the card :( Anyway it has been 12 months since my status match - matched it in December 2013. Will definitely update if it drops off :)

Flyer1976, daninstl and WilliamQ like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it will never. :)
    I stay at IHG properties but am only doing so because of the Plat status.
    Honestly, if it drops, I will most likely just focus on SPG and Hilton.

daninstl likes this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you want to consider joining the IHG Dining Rewards programme for the Gold to Plat upgrade ?;)

daninstl and markcwj like this.
  13. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I don't think that IHG Platinum is worth the price - so far I have gotten minor upgrades with IHG Platinum. I did however get a 4pm late check-out on multiple occasions - still doesn't quite justify the price tag and the fact that the dining benefits only extend to Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre in Singapore. Get a Kimpton Karma status match and hope for the best this year :D

daninstl likes this.
  14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay with IHG a lot you could pay to upgrade to Ambassador and get some benefit at regular properties. Not sure it's worth it unless you stay a lot though.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think if you stay at a lot of IC properties then Ambassador might be worth it, otherwise you're basically just a Gold member to regular hotels in the chain, and that doesn't necessarily guarantee that you'll get much.

daninstl likes this.
  16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    right, i thought there was a one night stay certificate along with that programme ?

markcwj likes this.
  17. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right, there is :) I think you can stay at any property - so many InterContinental HK could be a good one!

18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ likes this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of me actually hopes that I lose the status... :confused:
    I am thinking of focusing on SPG and HHonors this year but if the IHG Plat status remains, I feel obligated to stay there as a form of repayment to the generosity bestowed. It's hard to explain why I have that urge to do that but it does makes my planning more tricky.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    my status got downgraded to Gold today, you may want to check yours too

22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am now Gold too.
    Is this "soft landing" typical of IHG.
    While I did put in some stays with them over a few brands, I believe I am shy of attaining Gold and yet here I am. It makes it very tempting to buy into the dining promo and get the bump up as well as that free night cert....