Expiring United GPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by worktraveler83, Jan 27, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. worktraveler83

worktraveler83 New Member

Status Points:
    I have a United Global Premier Upgrade - expiring this weekend on 1/31. If someone would like to use it, please message me (is there private messaging on this?) and I will apply it to your flight. I hate for these things to go to waste!

2. rosenthal0

rosenthal0 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just sent you a message.

satman40 likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have a GPU that expires on 01/31/. PM me and I will apply it to your trip (will give preference to international travel; if no intl, first request for domestic gets served)!

qwas, satman40 and Counsellor like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good on both of you. That's very generous.

satman40 and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I did not have a taker for the GPU I offered here until about an hour ago when someone contacted me and requested that I apply the GPU for his February trip. I said that would not work because a GPU has to be used for a trip with a departure date that's no later than its expiration date, which is at midnight tonight, i.e., with less than 2 hours to go before this one expired. It is at this point that the requester told me that one of the bloggers had indicated that UA might be extending expiring GPU to 04/30/16 (3 more months) upon request.

Since I was told categorically "no" when I requested a GPU extension last year, I was not going to bother this time, except that I realized that I had nothing to lose if they said "no" again. So I picked up the phone and called the 1K desk and said: "I am calling as a 100,000-mile traveler, who is sure to be a million-miler this year, to request if you would consider extending a GPU that failed to clear late last year after I'd booked all my trips and it is expiring." The agent asked for my account number, that I confirm my name, that I provide my pin number, and then asked me to wait. I am not sure what she was checking but she came back and said that I had 7 GPUs, one of which was expiring today, and as a one time favor, she was going to extend it to 04/30/16. Yeah, kool! The extension is already in effect.

upload_2016-1-31_23-59-13.png

I am not sure what criteria they are using to approve or disapprove GPU extension requests, but if I were you, I would give it a shot, maybe even after the GPU expires at midnight. What have you got to lose?!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    See? Some good deeds go unpunished, and may even get rewarded!;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Dublin_rfk, satman40 and Counsellor like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, UA would often extend one or sometimes two expiring SWUs if you had requalified for 1K the following year and asked them to. I think for the most part this was an unpublished benefit. As you say, it never hurts to ask.

NYCUA1K and satman40 like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was single, I was told NO many times, it never hurts to ask again later...:eek:

Glad it worked out for you....

Flyer1976 and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    If anybody has any GPU's that are expiring soon (4/30) and they dont plan on using them, i have long international flight coming up that i can really use one for.

Thanks in advance!

Dublin_rfk likes this.