Expiring SWUs = lost revenue, saving me money. Thank you UA!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 2lovelife, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Would YOU spend more on UA if an expiring SWU were to instead be available for use 'until used'?

1. Yes, I would spend more if the upgrade remained valid

83.3%
  2. No, upgrades are nice, but they don't encourage me to spend more. Let them expire.

16.7%
  1. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the last few months, I've had several SWUs expire. In my case, each expired upgrade results in LOST REVENUE, the same result as throwing my future revenue away.

I'm quite prepared to pay $2000 & up for my tickets to/from Asia... if I can use my SWUs. But with limited SWUs left in my account, I'm likely to only buy ONLY exactly the amount of tickets = to my SWU balance.

I'm not asking for extra inventory... and I am OK with losing the upgrade to a paying C customer, a higher status, or another 1K on a higher fare. But extending the validity may extend future purchase behavior... just a thought.

For exampe, I have recently flown AC & TG in Y at significant savings over UA fares, and will regularly use F awards for short notice flights. During the same time I cannot find revenue seats that I can upgrade on (waitlist is OK). So the SWU SITS UNUSED, whiich is fine. But on the day it expires, SO DOES MY INTENTION TO BUY THEIR MORE EXPENSIVE (M, B, Y) fares.

So thank you UA for expiring my SWUs. You've just saved me several thousands of dollars!

heffa likes this.
  2. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    have you told UA this? I've heard of cases where agents (with manager permission) extending expiration dates if you're willing to make the reservation for Y or B fares with them on the phone.

Also, do you have any SWUs currently?

3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit tangental, but what I've always wondered is why the airlines don't allow a paid extension of expiration date of about-to-expire SWUs / eVIPs. I'd pay maybe $300-$400 (maybe even more) for a 90-day extension,

4. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also heard of a few exception cases of extension, and also an extension if you re qualified for 1K.
    Never hurts to ask

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I'm sure people might be interested in that option. AA has that with expired miles which I personally know people using that offer.

Skyvillager likes this.
  6. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have this year's 6 SWUs, but with 4 that just expired.

Hence, it appears that I'll only want to buy 3 tickets. Whereas if I could have used the other 4, it may have turned into another 2 tickets, or 4400 bucks revenue (If you peg each ticket at $2200).

With those last 2 tickets, I'll probably buy an AC ticket for 900, where I still get 100% EQMs AND 100% premier bonus too. No chance to upgrade, but literally saving me thousands of dollars.

I don't want a special exeption, or a paid extension.
    I should be thankful when they expire, its SAVING ME MONEY! I just realized my intended purchase behavior and thought of starting a thread to discuss it & see if others felt similarly.

I knew if I posted it on the other board, someone would merge it to some unrelated mega thread. So am really happy posting here at MP.com

heffa and SeeYa like this.
  7. heffa
    Original Member

heffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You do know that you can extend one of those expiring SWUs for another three months.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have a single one expire as I was able to give them all away. The last two went to a party of two that did not have any upgrade instruments for a 5 hour domestic flight in January. I have nine new ones in account and have already given one of those away, and expect I'll continue to do the same as the year goes on.

I won't pay extra to use my systemwides, extension or not.

scubaflyer and Wurm like this.
  9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never used all of mine on myself since becoming EXP - sometimes I've upgraded family members, other times I disposed of them in CC.

However, others on here and on FT report that they do use all of their allotment, and would use more if they had them. To me, the option to extend would be a nice option for them. The airline would gain some incremental revenue, revenue that would not be generated if they are given away. No one would be forced to extend, of course :)

10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos. I think this is a great position to take Tom. I talk with lots of 1Ks who do give away their unused/expiring SWUs, so I'm always amazed by the ones who would rather let them expire then give someone a gift of getting into biz when they normally wouldn't be able to. I'm talking with a 1K right now about taking a quick turnaround with him to Asia with some SWUs that are going to expire very soon. Why not, right. If the holder is not going to use them, you might as well help someone else out.

BTW, I hope the rest of the Ireland trip with Z and J was great. The pics you sent me from the first few days were great. I hope to see more from the rest of the trip sometime soon. Glad you got back safely.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the Ireland photos are on line now and linked below, currently on the front page. Trip went well until the last segment (ORD-SFO) where my two traveling friends became ill, possibly due to something they ate between flights at BRU that caught up with them. They first started feeling ill on the ground at ORD. Both were fine the day after.

12. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last 2 that expired were to be used for my trip home at the end of last month. In fact, I timed it to use them just before expiry.
    I wanted to buy revenue tickets, but the prices were either sky high, sold out, or all business class booked full on those specific days (upgrade unlikely to clear, even on a Y fare).

So I flew an F award one way home. Then I flew a Y award back. SWUs expired, and I saved from $2-2500. When they are still in my account, I look for good value flights. Once expired... I have the ahhhhhhhh freedom to think of other more imortant things. :d

13. EJRoss

EJRoss Active Member

Status Points:
    I had 3 expire recently. I usually fly UA to Southeast Asia and would have again if they did not expire but I got a better deal on KAL.