Expiring miles

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by profpeabody, Jul 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    have about 50,000 miles expiring at end of September and no trips between now and then to use them or activity to add to my account in order to save them. Any suggestions?

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any hotel / credit card that allows transferring of points / miles into your Miles & More?

3. profpeabody

Status Points:
    I would like to move miles out rather than add miles to the account.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm not mistaken, Miles and More miles expire on a quarterly basis on the 3rd anniversary of their being earned/posted. So that means that with this program, unlike US programs, you cannot extend the life of miles already earned by earning some more (or spending some).

If I'm not mistaken, there are only two exceptions to the rule: (a) miles do not expire so long as you're an elite in M&M (i.e., FTL, SEN, or HON), and (b) miles do not expire if you carry one of their credit cards AND have activity on that card every month (and I'm not sure whether all M&M credit cards have this power -- the German ones do and I think the Barclay M&M Gold MasterCard issued in the US does). It also seems to me that there is a requirement with the Barclay card that you have had it for a month or two - you should check on this.

I don't know where you're located or if you can get a German or US M&M credit card, but maybe the only way to save those miles -- unless you can make elite by September 30th -- is to get one of the M&M credit cards that have this power and set up a recurring monthly charge to it (a utility bill, perhaps).

EDITED TO ADD: I went to check on the T&C for the Barclay M&M card, and couldn't find the "no expiration" feature. Perhaps they're no longer offering that one. Or perhaps I just don't know where to look. The German one is still on offer, but you may need to have a German bank account to get it.

EDITED TO FURTHER ADD: I finally found it hidden away at https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply...Id=2257&cellNumber=2&referrerid=PTRBAMMProdPg in the "Terms and Conditions" pop-up.

The T&C provide
    That "has been opened for at least three months" part may mean it won't help the OP.

Looks as though you may simply have to redeem them for a trip to be taken sometime before 30 September 2017.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    satman40 and profpeabody like this.
  5. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Thank you Counsellor. Your detailed response and effort is much appreciated. Unfortunately, it appears you are exactly correct - no method of saving these miles now. I would like to donate them to Luke's Wings (great charity - they fly family members to wounded service members) but am not certain that will work. Will give it a try in any case and if nothing else, will redeem the miles for Heathrow shopping vouchers (terrible value but better than just letting them go to waste). Again, many thanks for your efforts.

Dublin_rfk and Counsellor like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have some M&M expiring next year, good for 3 years, but can be used on UA, super saver fares my understanding,,

Mine came from a CC Offer,

7. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Do you need to book UA awards by phone? I tried numerous dates for cross country US flights but have not found a single available award ticket.

8. ogcorp

ogcorp Member

Status Points:
    why you don't do a cheap business flight intra country to use them? I would prefer used them that waste them

9. profpeabody

Status Points:
    I don't have any need for a flight right now. Wondering about booking something and then changing it just to extend the life.