Expired Miles! Options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. Could really use some help here. I'm currently backpacking in Asia and didn't have internet access for a few days and I was unable to have activity in my southwest account and I had about 25k miles that expired 2 days ago. :eek: what can I do to have them reinstated?

thanks!

gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had that happen with AA a few years ago. I called to see what could be done and they asked if I had rented any cars the previous year. I had and had not indicated an airline and FF account as most of the major rental companies give miles. I contacted Hertz and they retroactively gave me the miles which allowed AA to reinstate my balance. Not sure it will help you but that's what worked for me. Good luck.

B1BomberVB, ffitalia, gregm and 5 others like this.
  3. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a tough pill to swallow. Give Southwest a call to see what options you have.

gregm, WilliamQ, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that would be the best approach. Ask to speak to a supervisor if CS rep can't help.

corz123, gregm and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely call Southwest Airlines. If you don't like the first answer that you get, ask to speak to a supervisor. If you still don't like the answer that you get, write out a snail mail letter and send it to SWA. I've gotten zilch response when I've emailed them about SWA SNAFUS, but writing a letter to explain the situation to SWA has had a positive result, more than once. ;)

Also, almost all the airlines let you reinstate expired miles up to 3 years out for a token fee - I've done this with AA, and I know that you can do this with UA (how to do this is on their website). Perhaps this is also an option with SWA. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    pointshogger, gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great sharing experience and nice of AA and Hertz to step up and help their customer.
    I am sure both of them gained some points in your book.

B1BomberVB, gregm and Newscience like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that this applies more for NA airlines. In Asia, airlines might not look favourably on such requests.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree! The rules are very different outside of the US. That stated, I've experienced on most non-US carriers a level of customer service that is missing back home. The OP mentioned "southwest account", so I assumed that meant WN (SWA).

corz123, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    And remember, hindsight is 20/20. Either keep track of your miles or try to use a carrier whose miles don't expire. :rolleyes:

ffitalia, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    D
    E
    L
    T
    A

On a side track... IHG is also starting to get my consideration for the very same reason.

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, at the time it happened, I was so pissed off that when the miles reappeared, I transferred them all to Hilton and used them to great advantage (before the awful devaluation). I guess I was more relieved than grateful but really astonished that they could not send me an email a few months out warning about the upcoming deadline. Nowadays, it's harder and harder to feel like a stakeholder in any of these companies. Still use them to great advantage (and it gets harder every day) but the concept of loyalty is, to me, meaningless.

13. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which mailing address did you use?

Newscience likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    corz123 likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or don't sweat it so much. If you're not actually engaged with the program within a two year period odds are you're not sitting on enough points to worry much about. I certainly wouldn't skew my once a year travel to an airline just because their points don't expire.

foxberg and corz123 like this.
  16. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I was actually planning to use those SWA miles for some travel this summer. By the way...do I need to have to credit card if I want to turn them into gift cards?

17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    25,000 miles is a free RT on my carrier of choice. If that's not important enough to keep, by all means don't sweat it. If it is enough to bother you by losing them, make sure it doesn't happen again.

18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's only 1 person on MP who doesn't care about the miles or points!

19. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. Just called SWA and then Avis Rentals to get some points from a rental in Nov. credited to my account. Avis said it might take 30-60 days. Is this typical? The SWA says once that happens and they see the avis points they can reinstate my account.

Newscience, B1BomberVB, gregm and 2 others like this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it is normal but at least the advice from @Steven Schwartz worked out for you.
    Hopefully it will take lesser days than that and you get your points back in time for your trip.

Newscience, corz123 and gregm like this.
  21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent! Hopefully that timeframe is a very generous estimate.

corz123 and WilliamQ like this.
  22. Troy Miles

Troy Miles Member

Status Points:
    I had a lot of expiring miles too and couldn’t use them… I discovered lately a website Giift that allows to trade miles from one program to another even for other loyalty programs, helps a lot!

gconnery and corz123 like this.
  23. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    can you give some example of how much the miles are worth or what you can get for them?

24. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm suspicious of the site. I couldn't find any mention of it on TOS nor any reviews. I created an account using a spam email just to poke around and was able to add various programs to my profile without completing them (giving them my actual login for the program, which I'm not willing to do yet). At that point they would show me some of the options for conversion. Most of the programs I tried (AA, Aegean, SPG) wouldn't allow any sales or transfers but a few would (HH, IHG) but those just seemed to be the options you already have available to you as a member of the program (10,000 IHG = 2,000 miles for example). Not sure what this site is.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. Based in Singapore and seems to be set up to scrape the program sites, something they all eventually get shut down for. I'll pass.

gconnery likes this.