Expert Flyer vs. delta seats available ??

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by traveldawg, Mar 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. traveldawg

traveldawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could probably go into another forum, but I am a Delta flier and this is the forum I always come to.

Looking at DL #1299 on 4/3 Whereas I realize the DL seatmap is not going to reflect accuracy, was just looking for an overview. It shows 9 coach, 1 f/c seat available.

Going to Expert Flyer - the report is: F1 Y9 B8 S8 H7 Q7 K7 L7 U6 T6 X5 V4 E4

And whereas I am fairly new to Expert Flyer; there is something that I am just not understanding here. I know about the different fare buckets and that the numbers mean "at least" - but this shows considerably more that the 10 total seats as displayed on the DL website.

Some insight would TRULY be appreciated and thank you for putting up with my "dumbness"

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fare classes are not always cumulative. These are the fare classes they are willing to sell seats in, and it could be any combination to get to the total seats available. If I was to guess, there are nine seats available.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't add up all the numbers going across. There is 1 seat for sale in the forward cabin and at least 9 for sale in the economy cabin but that's all you know from those numbers.

And ignore the seat map. They can block seats, oversell the flights and not assign seats until check-in opens. There are all sorts of reason that seat maps are not good indicators of flight loads.

4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where there are 9 Y only 7 can be sold as Q or L. But you would not add the 9+7+7 to figure available seats. Rely on the seat map at your own risk. It usually is not a full picture of what's out there.

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    In addition to all of the reasons mentioned, as we note at the top of the Delta Seat Map:
    "Economy Comfort seats will always be shown as Blocked or Occupied regardless of actual status."
    As such, there could be free EC seats that won't be shown on the seat map.

6. traveldawg

traveldawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you one and all. My ignorance had me counting all those coach seats listed on Expert Flyer. And, I did NOT realize that Economy Comfort seats were blocked out on the seat map.

As per comments above, I don't rely on the DL seat map - just an overview. Just wish I could make better use of Expert Flyer as I know it is a wonderful tool and I am only using probably 2% of its potential.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I check some eat maps now, every EC seat seems to be blocked (blue with the white X) but I thought that several weeks ago, the DL seat maps on EF showed some EC seats occupied (solid blue) and the rest all blocked (blue with white X). Has there been a change or do I remember incorrectly?

8. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    No change, it can be different for different flights, however as noted, the EC seats will always be some combination of Blocked or Occupied, never Available.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had understood blocked to mean available to me as an elite (DM), but not available for free to the general public, versus occupied meaning that the seat has already been assigned to another passenger. So for me available is the same as blocked, although I realize this isn't true for everyone, and knowing whether the seat is blocked or occupied makes a difference.

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whose on first again? :cool:

11. view-with-a-room

view-with-a-room Active Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the term "willing to sell" as F1 indicates the airline is willing to sell 1 first class seat at this point in time. A cancellation of an earlier flight would most likely result in 0 on all fare classes and so the airline is not willing to sell any seat although seats may be available.

12. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thing not to forget is the "married segment logic." The system is set to preserve a number of FC seats on certain routes at certain times which in DL's history and belief have a good chance for last-minute sales.

Therefore, if you are connecting through ATL to LGA in late afternoon or early evening, you will frequently see less availability ATL-LGA on that segment for the entire connecting trip XXX-ATL-LGA than will be shown when searching for ATL-LGA all by itself.

Then we come to what is likely to be the OP's bottom line. Yes, all of these seats that are not sold will be available for upgrades at the gate. :)