Expert Flyer site question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nelsoji, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone ever used Exper Flyer? It was recommended to me to look up award tickets. I signed up for the free trial today, but the site locks up everytime I try and find tickets. Its the same thing I have happen when a site is really pulling a lot of data, but I am trying to see if anyone has had this issue and has some idea of how to minimize this. I literally can't even open the page anymore without re-starting internet explorer (is that my problem??).

So if anyone has any hints - I would greatly appreciate it! If this is in the wrong thread - let me know where to go, but was looking at it for a United award, so figured I would start here!!

Thanks in advance!!

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had those problems. If you want to book a United award, I would just use United's website.

3. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Welcome to ExpertFlyer nelsoji. Due to the potentially large amount of flights returned, if you are using IE 7 or 8 then the browser may lock up momentarily while the data is being organized, however it will release when the Javascript is done running. You can minimize the amount of flights returned by selecting Direct/Non-stop only flights in your search (if possible). IE 9, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome won't have this problem.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer lets you look at quantity of inventory, which United's searches do not, and it lets you look in buckets you may not have access to view on United's search.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

I do not believe that EF has access to any "special" inventoy data not readily available on the site normally.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a silver, I won't be shown inventory I don't have access to book on UA's site. Previously, as a general member, I wasn't shown inventory I didn't have access to either (on the old CO site).

At least, that's been true the dozen times I've done a side-by-side comparison when I was looking for something and saw categories I didn't have access to on EF.

(I'll try to find an example, I've got some screen shots 2600 miles away, and some might even show this.)

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are talking award inventory it just depeends on how you search. A regular revenue search willl show the *N buckets even if you cannot book them based on your status.

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, guess I wasn't looking that way. I sit corrected.

9. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses!!! I ran the search in Mozilla and it worked when I did that so it was likely an issue where I was using an antiquated web browser to do the searches!!! FWIW, I did like the EF site. I understand there may be free/other ways to get that information, but it gave me the exact info I was looking for., Thanks again and for anyone who happens to search this thread with same issues - try a different (better?) browser - that worked immediately for me!!

10. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's exactly why I spend the $99 a year on it.

RichardInSF and TravelerRob like this.
  11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. Also for the flight alerts.

cwpfly likes this.
  12. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly is $99 well spent in my book. In fact, I just renewed!