Experinces with Diamond Suite Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Leonardo85, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello :)

i just want to know more about you´re experinces with the Diamond Suite Upgrades...

After i emailed Goldpassport, they told me that you will get the "cheapest" Suite at all...

For example: The Park Suite at Park Hyatt in Hamburg/Germany...

Are there "tricks" to get a better suite, or other explanations like to pay for the better Suite?!

Greetings :)

2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, the lowest ("cheapest") suite has to be available on the inventory for GP to be able to confirm your upgrade. I think it's up to the hotel to determine whether you will actually be staying in that particular suite, or to upgrade you further.

uggboy, kenbo and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    At GH Seattle I requested a room with a view of the Space Needle and the front desk agent upgraded me to a better suite. If not for the great efforts of that agent, I would have been in the lowest category suite, just like every other time I used a confirmed upgrade.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    what type of suite ? the "normal suite" had to be the "executive suite" right ?

uggboy likes this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, not necessarily. For instance, I used a suite upgrade cert at the Hyatt Lost Pines resort, and they upgrade you to a Junior Suite (although it is a decent size 1 bedroom suite, so it's not the end of the world). Like KW335 said above, it's up to the hotel to go above & beyond the minimum. Some do, most don't.

theBOAT

uggboy likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try to contact the hotel directly if they're willing to upgrade you to a category higher than the cheapest suite. Twice I wanted to use the upgrade at the GH Singapore and the cheapest suite was sold out and the Diamond line agent couldn't confirm the upgrade, I contacted the hotel directly and they let me use the upgrade on a higher category suite. I've also been upgraded further at GH Macau and GH Shenzhen, although these happened at check-in.

uggboy and alohastephen like this.
  7. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Depends on the property - best way to ascertain which category is to go to the "rooms" section of the property's web-page on hyatt.com and the first "suite" you come to on the list is most likely the one that you would be confirmed into. Further upgrades are possible of course - either by the hotel - or by an upcharge at check-in.

uggboy, theBOAT and Leonardo85 like this.
  8. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was one occasion when I wanted to upgrade using my suite u/g, but the lowest-category suite was not available. I emailed the FD manager, who then upgraded me to that supposedly-sold-out-suite for free. No suite upgrade was deducted.

Perhaps the fact that I've stayed at this property multiple times in the past helped, but it never hurts to ask.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sounds nice :)

i want to travel to grand hyatt berlin...i´ve asked via email because of the diamond suite upgrades, but the only thing they could offer is the grand suite :-/

btw. 1. are diamond suite upgrades the same as the buy-able suite upgrades which can "buy" for earned points?
    2. One suite upgrade costs 6000 points... is this for one night or for the whole stay?

uggboy likes this.
  10. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto that. Always contact the hotel directly. I have found thataA friendly note to the manager can often do wonders. ;)

uggboy and cennas like this.
  11. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes they both book into the same category (the base entry suite). However, the Diamond Certs are applicable to "most" discounted rate (AAA, Senior, Corporate etc) that is bookable directly with Hyatt while the points based one (which is good for 4 nights) is only applicable to the "Hyatt Daily Rate" (which is non-discounted - and at some resorts the applicable rate could be an ungraded (eg ocean front) room). Note that this rate discussion applies mostly to domestic US properties, since many International properties do not offer the range of discounted rates like the domestic properties.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:

but the diamond suite certificates are valid for one week?!

uggboy likes this.
  13. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    correct.

uggboy likes this.
  14. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use 'em or lose 'em today, folks! Book by today for future reservations using your 2010/11 stash of upgrades.

kenbo likes this.
  15. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Suite in Berlin isn't so bad if you ask me!

alohastephen likes this.
  16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where can you find the email address of the front desk manager or general manager? I only see a general email address for the hotel on the website, and no idea whether it gets read

alohastephen likes this.
  17. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you that the generic email address for the HR Santa Clara does not get read... or they're really backlogged :confused:

theBOAT

alohastephen likes this.
  18. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced that at other hotels, hence finding the name of an individual and writing them directly would be preferable. Anyone have any idea how to find it? I've not been successful with Google/Bing

alohastephen likes this.
  19. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend doing a search on milepoint to see any reviews. I was able to contact one general manager via a fellow MPer.

Another time, I was able to contact the GM after staying at the property once.

Also, Hyatt usually sets up their email as:

firstname.lastname@hyatt.com

;)

20. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used my very first upgrade cert this past weekend at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago. I have never used any of them in the last 3 years I have been Diamond. Very disappointed. I usually think this hotel has excellent customer service. Not this time. The front desk person hassled me, told me there weren't any upgrades available and when I explained that I received an email stating the certificate was taken out of my account and applied the night before she argued with me. I had a nice room in the end although I was probably in it a total of 3 hours over the course of my 36 hour stay. I wasn't impressed with the hotel this time and as I mentioned I have found them to usually be excellent.

alohastephen likes this.
  21. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:

no, not bad but too small compared to the grand executive suite, daimler and mercedes suite...

Hopefully it will work that Hyatt will activate my Diamond Challenge (see other thread). I just can´t imagine, what is missing at my pdf. They told me no screenshot, but the pdf shows my transaction of the last year etc :-/
    Hope that somebody can help :)

alohastephen likes this.