Experiences with Avis 1st? My first...

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by DCole801, Apr 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DCole801

DCole801 Member

Status Points:
    I have always been a Hertz Gold guy, however, recent choice to get MileagePlus Club Visa gave me Avis 1st for free.... I decided to give it a shot.

They were QUITE a bit more than Hertz in terms of price and when I tried to go online/call a rep to inquire about rates/book systems were down and they said to call back in 5 hours...didn't have the time and went with Hertz...

Which program is better?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience of late has been National seems to be the most consistent.
    Avis and Hertz vary by location. Sometimes it can be a great experience, other time your left shaking your head.
    I have also experienced Avis being pricey more often than the other two.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to be a Hertz Gold member but my employer switched car rental companies and unfortunately went with Avis/Budget... I say unfortunately because the biggest annoyance I have experience by the change is the terrible attitude of the folks at Avis... It may be related to the location where the majority of my rentals occur (BWI) but I can honestly say the folks over at Hertz were definitely more personable!

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't rent enough (maybe 10-15 times per year) to be able to get a statistically meaningful sampling of agencies and their friendliness. I have encountered helpful/friendly people with Dollar and complete A-holes with Hertz, and also very nice people with Hertz and Avis, and indifferent people with Alamo etc. etc. My general preference is to AVOID interaction as much as possible. When I arrive somewhere, I just want to walk to the pre-assigned car and drive away. Upon return I generally cannot avoid it, and that's where probably location plays as much a role as agency. E.g., in Frankfurt they all seem to thoroughly look over the car for damage. Avis in Dubai last week seemed to go even further, the guy was almost crawling under the car and I was tempted to suggest getting one the tools (Xray?) Emirates maintenance probably has on site to look for metal fatigue (and I was Presidents Club and had purchased CDW).

5. DCole801

DCole801 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your feedback guys. It doesn't sound like there is much positivity with Avis. I've heard good things about National but I don't believe any of my Elite statuses get me there?? They are as follows:

Amex Platinum - Gets me Hertz #1 Gold?
    United MileagePlus Club Card - Avis First? Hyatt Platinum?

United MileagePlus Gold Flyer (will be 1K this year)

SPG Platinum Member - does this get me anything?

D

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. DCole801

DCole801 Member

Status Points:
    I must admit...I gave Avis First a second shot and was blown away!! The folks at the Avis First desk, namely Seth and Lauren, were by far some of the best reps I have dealt with in a WHILE! True consummate professionals.

Not only did they make up for my previous negative experience with Avis...they might have sold me for good!

I'll keep you posted, however, if you are an Avis First and travel to LAX, check with Lauren and Seth. Seth has been with the company 30 years and truly goes the distance to make sure you feel valued.

Tremendous work, folks. I'm not that easy to impress but...wow.

Best,

Don

8. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With Avis first, I find i DO get a much better car than I have reserved, often at LAX especially. But I haven't noticed any real "recognition" I DID return a car a bit late a while ago and wasn't charged anything, but I think this was more due to AMEX PLATINUM than AVIS first.