Experiences on US Airways Express First Class

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that the E-175 and E-170 fleets are fully converted to a two-cabin configuration and F service has started on these fleets, I figured we could start a thread with observations/experiences from Express First.

I had my first experience yesterday on PIT-CLT and CLT-GSO. I wanted to try both the single seat and the double seat, so I went with 3A on the first leg and 3F the second. In short, I love the fact that these express planes now have F...this is a HUGE improvement in my opinion. Some random observations:

• Maybe I was just tired, but I felt like the seats had more recline than the mainline F seats. I really felt like I was laying back when I put the seat all the way back, which was great.
    • It appears that every seat has an adjustable (moves up and down) headrest, and well as the "wing flaps" that fold in/out. This always makes sleeping so much easier for me, so this was great to see since it's hit or miss as to whether or not you'll have the headrests on the mainline fleet.
    • It was great to have the extended overhead bins on one side of the F cabin. I'm used to my rollaboard barely fitting on that plane when it's put in sideways, but it had no issues at all fitting wheels-first in the overhead. And with only 8 seats in F, it seemed like there was adequate space for first class luggage.
    • I think it's apparent the flight attendants recently went through training on F service, because they literally jumped to give PDBs. I was offered a PDB within 20 seconds of taking my seat on both flights, which was great...it almost seemed like they were trained that it's a requirement to provide one (when I feel like the mainline attitude is "maybe if we can/feel like it), which is fine with me!
    All in all, I think a big added value to being an elite on US, and I was pleased with all aspects of the experience!

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant to add that my blanket on both flights was definitely thicker than the normal blanket's we're used to in First...not sure if this was a fluke or if they've actually started using a new type of blanket, but it was definitely better.

3. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few flights between PVD, PHL and CLT and the service has been very good. I've been surprised at how many of my flights cleared being a lowly Silver on US. I don't want to jinx myself but I'm Exp with AA and have 100% success rate this year on upgrades but even being Silver with US I'm at about 70% success.

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just on E-170 with first. Found it just as comfortable as E-190. I think same seat as E-190 with one less row. Will post pics.

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like decent shoulder room between the seats but not sure about the leg room.

I think I saw you in Chicago? Are you quite tall?

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You did see me in Chicago. I am 6' 1" (don't know about quite tall)...defiantly not as tall as Brian (The Points Guy)

The shoulder room is great and leg room is decent. I couldn' tell you how the pitch compares to other airlines first class. I know sometimes I have more pitch in an exit row. But the width of the seat and the extra legroom make Sean a happy flyer:)

8. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought so. You have almost a foot on me so I consider you tall. My leg room would be similar to the person next to u in the pic :)

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be Mrs. Colahan (quite a cutie):rolleyes: For her it's not about the FC upgrades or exit row seating (she could care less about the leg room). She likes my status cause she gets on the plane and has overhead space.

10. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's terrific. I really appreciate this. Now I just wish the CRJ would go away and never come back.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE:D

SS255 likes this.