Experience with Wells Fargo card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ducster, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is traveling with 2 of her friends to Hawaii next month, and all of them are using award tickets on UA. She and one of her friend used UA miles while the 3rd person used her Wells Fargo points to get her ticket. Last week, I changed the 2 tickets that came from UA miles because the non-stops opened up on both the outbound and the return.

When our friend who used the Wells Fargo points called them, she was able to change the return, but not the outbound, and she apparently was given a lot of trouble to even change one way. Through the UA site, there is a lot of availability still remaining for award tickets, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Wells Fargo points and flight changes.

Thanks!

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I assume the Wells Fargo program is like many other "cash back" type programs. You "buy" a ticket with your points. The ticket is issued in a specific fare bucket (not into a normal UA award bucket). If there are no seats available in that same fare bucket, they will not let you change.

3. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that sounds exactly right. Is there a way to know of to check (EF, etc.) the fare bucket?

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reservation confirmation from Wells Fargo should have the fare class of the issued ticket. And United (as well as other sites like EF) will tell you what is still available.

Although this didn't work out so well because you wanted to make a change, I do think using bank rewards points to purchase tickets is a great idea if you still want to be able to EARN miles and upgrades on that flight, which you can't do with award tickets. You just have to be able to predict which flights are likely to need changes and cancellations, and which are good as they are.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to fare bucket and change fee issues, Wells Fargo could impose its own additional change fee or just refuse to make changes. I don't know whether the airline would let you make changes directly in this case.

Scottrick likes this.
  6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks- I just told her to call back again and see if she could find an agent to help her make the other change. You never know....