Experience with warranty/defects on Bose earbud headphones?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by bhatnasx, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a pair of the Bose in-ear headphones for just about a year - I bought them last minute after I left a pair of Shure headphones on the plane. I never actually liked them (Shure earbuds fit better & sound better, IMHO, but only high ends available at the time were Bose, so I bought them for about $100).

Anyways, through normal wear & tear (and I literally only use them when flying & not even on every flight), the rubber covering over the connection between the wire & the plug has essentially worn away (in about a year - maybe 14 months or so) and now, due to that, the exposed wire is not connecting to the plug, and now I can only hear sound out of one ear.

I honestly don't recall if I registered them & I bought them at a Fry's in Vegas and not through Bose directly.

Has anyone had any experience or luck with warranty on this sort of an issue with Bose? I know it's been more than a year, so I doubt I'm even covered - but I do believe it's due to shotty worksmanship, materials, and design. I wouldn't like to replace these (would prefer a credit towards NC headphones) as they weren't comfortable to begin with.

2. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try giving them a call. I had an issue with a pair of refurbished headphones (bought at an outlet) after a couple months and after calling the store they immediately shipped me a new pair and pre-paid label to return the defective ones. Granted you didn't buy them at a Bose store but it sounded like making exchanges easy was corporate policy not specific to the sales person I spoke with.

If Bose doesn't work out, do you have some sort of warranty from the credit card you used for the purchase?

3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you are referenceinf these:

[​IMG]

I have a pair, obtained free when my bank discontinued its debit card Rewards program and I cashed in for various merchandise. Because they're not noise-isolating, I got them for general use, not for airplane use - they perform well (I use Etymotic ER-4P's on-board airplanes).

I did order some replacement plastic covers, as I had lost one of the originals. IIRC, it was around $7 for a pair on the Bose site.

Per the loss of sound on one channel , one possibility is that earwax might have made its way into the narrow opening on the earpiece:

http://worldwide.bose.com/productsu...product/page.html?productlabel=ie2_headphones

4. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Give bose a call, they do have some of the best warranty/customer service in the electronics space. Historically, these in-ear versions were very problematic and one only needed to bring them in to a store, wiggle your nose and you got a new pair for free. I think they'll hook you up

5. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies - those are the head phones.

It's not because of earwax buildup, it's because the rubber at the plug end has decayed & broken away and is the wire has come out.

Thanks!

6. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick follow-up...

Called Bose & they agreed to either charge me $50 for a replacement set (out of warranty) or a $100 credit towards the QC15's (so they'll send them to me for $199 instead of $299).

I went with the QC15 offer & will buy Shure earbuds when they go on sale as I never really like the Bose ones to begin with.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been my experience as well.. My newer ones broke over in PA & they quickly replaced them @ KOP mall after checking the serial number out on their computer. When I went home, I also got the $50 replacement credit for the other older, out of warranty, pair. I was even more pleased with the customer service than the headphones! :) They insited upon keeping the plastic box however! :D Really!

Glad its all working out well for you

8. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other thing to remember is to purchase with your Amex Plat/Centurion card if you have one to extend your mfr warranty by a year.

9. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what I would expect from Bose. Their customer service is quite good--they want customers to stay happy. And I agree with you about Shure earbuds--I have an old pair of e420s, that I love. Had some custom tips made and they're wonderful.

Gatorray likes this.