Experience sought - Is PHL-SFO on A319 worth burning a RPU?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a PHL to SFO flight booked in late May. It's 6 hours on an A319, so there are only 8 F seats. Part of me thinks I should snag it now while I can. Another part thinks that using a RPU on an A319 kind of seems like a waste.

Other pertinent info: I'm Platinum and currently only 1 of 3 currently showing booked in E+, with two F seats gone. Bargain L fare booked. When I started writing this, the RPU was available. It is now showing as not available. Thinking I may be able to call and book it, so sharing your experience is greatly appreciated.

2. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would do it if you can confirm it. I have done both RPU and UDU on this flight, but have also missed it too.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My vote would be yes. In fact, I think it's a far better use to burn a CR-1 (the old-school name for RPUs, a name I'm still getting used to :p) on a 319 than on a domestic, non-p.s. 752, for example. The F experience is identical, but the UDU is much easier on the latter. And for me, using CR-1s on transcons is a no-brainer - esp on an L fare (you have approximately a 0% chance of clearing a 319 transcon on an L fare :)). I say, apply that sucker and hope it clears before your flight!

ETA: here's what udustats.com has to say about the likelihood of success on this route without a CR-1...

Just my $0.02, I'm sure others on the board will have different opinions...

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't need much encouragement. The thought of spending 6 hours in a coach seat with a 7:00 AM departure (I'm so not a morning person) was more than I could stand. I called and snagged it! Thanks to you both for the rapid-fire response. I love this site!

5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a no brainer! Glad you snagged t.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on grabbing it. A transcon on an A319 is a great use of a CR1, especially going the slow direction. The only reason I wouldn't do that is if I was planning a trip on p.s., one of the Hawaii BusienssFirst routes, or longer Caribbean or "northern South America" route.

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No brainer. Absolutely do it.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  8. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had trouble *buying* F seats on this route. Burning the RPU is absolutely the right choice.

Golfingboy, IDGflygirl and tjtenor4 like this.
  9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    any time I can grab an UP on a transcon I do, cant think of a better place to use them with the sole exception of a Hawaii flight, which for me means Im doing a transcon as well, so that UP covers me NY-HI great use of an UP

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny how much my fellow MPers have changed my habits in a rather short time period. My initial reaction was to use the RPU if I could, but you guys have sometimes made very important points that had never crossed my mind. It seemed senseless to use it without first checking in here. I just hope that my contributions are occasionally valuable to others here.

Did I mention that I love this site? :D

yaychemistry and IDGflygirl like this.
  11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is already done, but let me give a contrary position just for the sake of discussion.

I don't see the difference between domestic F and domestic Y+ (particularly exit or row 7 on the airbii) as worth an instrument.

I wouldn't burn my RPUs on anything less than p.s., HI/AK, or a long domestic leg on an intn'l config bird (yes those are easier to clear UDU than the 319, but the upgrade also gets you more).

YMMV of course, but just another perspective.

SFOtoORD likes this.
  12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is only if you have quite few trips to those destinations. Also, domestic transcons with the CO 752s [EWR-SFO/LAX] are near impossible to clear, so most of the time expect the CR1 being redeposited into your account. In most cases, I think transcons on the Airbuses is a great use of CR1s, particularly the 319s.

SFOtoORD likes this.
  13. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the difference between domestic first on the 2521 mile PHL-SFO route and the 2399 SFO-HNL route, for example. Why would you burn the upgrade on the Hawaii flight (domestic config) but not on the PHL-SFO flight?

ssullivan likes this.
  14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. My east coast bias means that HI flights are ex-EWR or, at least, ex-IAH or ORD. For west coach departures you have a good point.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  15. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    since the OP was talking PHL-SFO there isnt any ps flights out of PHL.And for the little extra perks not worth driving from PHL to JFK

when I use my CR1s its in order to get out of Y, if I knew Y was almost empty and everyone was going to have a row to themselves then Id probably not Upgrade even on the ps flights.(I just did NY-SIN in E+ and the flights were empty and would do it again in E+, as Ive done even SYD in E+)

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was more making a general statement about what I felt was/was not worth a CR1. I live in WAS and don't really fly p.s. either except on rare occassions when I need to be in NYC before or after a west coast trip.
    More to the point though, I don't find the two-class domestic F product worth an istrument even on a transcon.

Mine always go to the occassional three-class ex-IAD transcon and to upgrade non-status friends and family flying alone.

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see that there are different ways to look at this, but this was the right decision for me. I don't fly that many transcons, so upgrades aren't frequently as important to me as this one. Not mentioned before is that this is a flight which will connect in SFO for a 2 hour+ flight to Spokane on a CRJ 200.

That 2nd leg is going to be kinda uncomfortable, so I didn't want to start the day with 6 hours in coach. I guess I'm just getting too old, too heavy and too spoiled to choose E or E+ on anything over 2 hours anymore.

18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, unless I am on the flight looking for an upgrade. Then, no, absolutely not.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  19. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought we had all agreed that UDUstats was an almost complete waste of time. Totally non-scientific IMHO. For instance, my favorite route, LAX-KOA shows 100% cleared and 50% cleared on the return. I can tell you for a fact, that is totally incorrect.

Now, if someone was able to start scraping the data from United, who posts the queue 24 hours before each flight that might be valuable??

Phudnik likes this.