Experience Opening a Chase/United 'Explorer' Visa

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by kansaskeith, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am easily in the top percentiles of being stodgy on credit-card churning, avoiding that and basically not opening any new credit cards for the last five if not eight years (other than upgrading Hilton Amex to Hilton Surpass). Also, don't carry balances past the month they are charged, so really don't need the high credit lines I have.

That all said, I am starting to fly UA more and more - first time in a decade - so decided I would "bite" on the offer for 30,000 miles to open a UA Chase card. Already had a Chase card through AARP so called them and said can I just close that and move the account to a UA card. No, the nice man said, you'd have to apply for a new UA card and then if approved, and if desired, you can move some of the credit line from AARP to UA. So I applied online, prefilled the app by entering my user name and password from the AARP card, and. . . slam, bam. . . within 20 seconds got an approval for a new $20K line plus a note on what I could do if I found that line insufficient!

I'm sorry, but that's scary! I can't avoid thinking that credit that easy is what's gotten the world in such trouble :)

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you misread that completely! From what you stated, you have earned the credit by being responsible. I am sure that there are many rejections of applications for credit every day. Recently, there was a thread here where someone who had a better credit score than mine got rejected for a Chase CC, while I had gotten a Chase Hyatt Visa approved instantly around the same time, with a $23K line of credit. Credit is "easy" for those who have shown themselves to be worthy...like you have;)

Stiga9, servo and Kalboz like this.
  3. gator28fan

gator28fan Member

Status Points:
    Hey Kansaskeith,
    May I make a suggestion on a way to possibly get more bonus points for you. There has been a 50,000 miles bonus after spending $1000 in 1st 3 months on the UA Explorer card. If you want, you can send a "secure message" to Chase Bank from their website and tell them that after you applied and were approved for the 30,000 mile credit card, you found the offer for the 50,000 miles bonus one. Ask them if you can have the additional 20,000 miles added. Also, if you add an authorized user within the 1st 3 months to the credit card, you can usually get another 5000 bonus miles.

Hope this helps you.

I think this is my first actual post on this message board, I usually just read but though I might suggest the ways to get more bonus miles. I did the secure message thing for myself, my dad and a friend and Chase Bank increased the bonus miles. Just remember to do this during the 1st 3 months after you get the card and meet the spend requirements.

Marlene:)

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a total of 65K UA miles from this card ...

KK, I think it all depends on your credit score, history, and obligations. Based on what you stated above, you are probably a very low risk for the bank, and, hence, the high credit line.

Stiga9, Jimgotkp, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  5. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keith, you should read up some on credit card churning. It is pretty easy to do and just because someone gives you credit that doesn't mean you have to use it all recklessly.

In reality, you are missing out on tons of miles. You don't have to do anything drastic like signing up for 10 in one day, but you could get a few and with some creative spending (if you don't have high regular spend anyway) you would be able to get large sign up bonuses.

Stiga9 and Kalboz like this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Farbster, no I know it doesn't mean I have to use it recklessly even if I churn to get credit, and I am not saying that you, if you churn, are a reckless spender.

It's more a personal position I take, that debt is a very serious matter to be entered only for serious purposes. That dovetails with my distrust that banks have fallen so far into the marketing game with all this stuff, and I remember how other marketing tricks by banks a few years ago (not necessarily mileage related) almost put our country under by giving credit to folks who didn't deserve it.

And I just don't like at all the occasional threads and discussions on how to apply for so many in one day so as to defeat the banks' automated systems, etc. That's deceptive, and that stuff can't be good for a sound economy.

So while I do occasionally, like once a decade, open credit for mileage, I'd rather give up miles and some free travel than stray from those principles too far. That's no reflection on others (except for the multiple-appliers-in-one-day group I mention in the previous paragraph).

Instead, it's just me.

SuperKirby, Stiga9, servo and 3 others like this.
  7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I respect you for sticking to your principles. There certainly is a portion of society that will try to get as much as they can without understanding the consequences of doing so, and those people are a detriment to society. Part of that, (in my opinion) is your own risk tolerance as well as your education level on the subject. Given that I've worked for financial institutions and have discussed the ramifications of what I'm doing (opened 6 cards in the last round of apps) with people I know and trust within the financial industry (my financial advisor, my friend in the mortgage dept at my prior employer, credit experts on this board - they know who they are, and others), I feel confident that the risk and reward have been appropriately weighed prior to diving in. Those who do the same due diligence will thrive in the game, because of their preparedness.

There will be plenty of people denied for these cards, or people who get shut down because of their own greed, and that's the unfortunate side of this game, but the without seeing the balance sheet for these cards, I think one can assume that they're performing well enough to continue offering the bonuses they have been. Recall that major reason for the financial crisis was in mortgage-backed securities. Unsecured credit, while still a bit of a problem for the average American, wasn't the crux of the overall problem.

SuperKirby, Stiga9 and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Out of random curiosity, what types of credit cards did UA have way back when Continental had the PP and OnePass cards? Did Chase issue UA cards back then as well?

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and those cards were, I think, generally better than now. Now you only have the Explorer and the Club. Back then, you had a basic Explorer-type card, a Club-type lounge access card, and another card (I think it was the Select) that gave you 3x miles on UA spending, 2x miles on *A, dining, and some other categories, and 1x on general spending. I wish that last one were still around. :(

Muerl, SuperKirby and Stiga9 like this.
  10. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that does indeed sound great. What were those UA cards called?

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had one back around '05/'06, I think it was just called a UA Mileage Plus Visa. Points/mile/rewards weren't marketed the same back then. Miles were much more valuable and easy to use than today.

People complain a lot about point devaluation but most folks don't realize how easy it is to earn points these days. I think it is all just the market catching up with all the points they issue. Ten years ago 35k points got me a RT ticket from Hawaii to LA--with very few blackouts; no way airlines could still support that when you can get upwards of 75k points for just opening a card and then closing it 3-6 months later.

LETTERBOY and SuperKirby like this.
  12. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I opened a UA MP card in 2004, which they later upgraded to the MP Select card (at an upgraded annual fee too, except that I am still charged the lower fee from my original card :)).

The MP Select card has all the 3x/2x opportunities mentioned, gives you a 5,000 mile anniversary bonus and - this is the biggie - you earn up to 5,000 EQM annually for every dollar spent with United. Won't find that last one anywhere else I know of.