Experience booking Avis in Europe vs. in U.S......

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by alfagirl, Jun 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My friends live in Paris, France and are looking to book a car when they come here to visit. They are picking it up in Burbank, Ca and returning in Sea. When I book this via Avis.com (or call the branch) and use my corp code, it is around $300 for a mid-size plus 25 cents a mile (no miles included with one way rental) it would come to around $600. If I remove the corp code, the cost jumps to ~$1,200 for the 10 days and has unlimited mileage.
    So, our friends booked this in Paris and got a rate of 260€, they said it has unlimited mileage.
    Does anyone have any experience with 'one way' inter-state rentals in the US booked outside of the US? I want to make sure that they will not ultimately have to pay for mileage when they drop the car off.....
    Thanks

MX likes this.
  2. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of this with Avis -- book with them for work, but no experience of the kind you ask for the US. Sort of the opposite issue once -- rented through Avis for 3 days in France/Italy, and they did not recognize the rate I booked at first (special promo), but I showed the confirm email and they honored it.

Before you go down that road, I would suggest that if they (or you) have access, to look into booking with either the Chase UR portal or the Capitalone rewards portal. Both generally give me much cheaper rates than I get by booking with my corporate code.

3. LordSebastian

LordSebastian New Member

Status Points:
    I booked an Avis car online from Australia last year, for a 10 rental from LAX returned Seattle, for a Nov use. It was $375.00 for the rental included full insurance, Unlimited mileage, which it was and a $300.00 one way drop off fee. I also paid $180.00 for the sat nav, ( $18.00 pd rip off) the final bill was exactly what my internet booking said. Which also had written on the booking Unlimited mileage. Service very good and there was assistance and staff at both ends.

I mention that as I nearly didn't use Avis due to very poor service I received in April 14 with an online booking made through United Ailines for a pickup at CDG PARIS, for 14 days, they weren't going to honour the rate until I showed them the print off I made of the booking, thy then just gave the keys and said its in the car park, which took us ages to find and no one to explain the car a A4 Audi. It has its own sat nav system but they charged 12 euro per day for a seperate unit. Coming back was the same just parked and you go down stairs and hand in keys, which gives you an uneasy feeling as what's checked how but it all worked out.

The U.S. experience was far better.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could buy a Garmin for less than $180, and still have it after you turn the rental back in. Lesson for next time.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes you will have it but in two years or so the upgraded maps (example Europe) will cost $85.00 Although I love my Garmin since it will often work in areas without any/decent cell reception
    I find google maps on your cell phone a decent and much cheaper alternative.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    AVIS will charge you mileage fee unless you return to same area location.
    EX: Rent in Los Angeles then can return to Long Beach, Burbank, LAX areas including airport at no charge,
    I rented at neighborhood LA office and return to LAX at no charge.

Picking up in LA and return Seattle offers no option on mileage, And, I had a corporate discount.

7. EHOTP

EHOTP New Member

Status Points:
    As I checked it's the lowest prices and it's in Europe. This is comfort..

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    One word of warning: Read the WHOLE contract carefully before you sign it!

I picked up an Avis rental car at the Brussels airport a while back, read the form at the counter, but did not think to ask for the terms and conditions that were simply incorporated by reference. Turned the car in on my return (didn't get a credit card charge slip at turn-in, since they weren't equipped to issue them there in the garage).

When I got my credit card bill it converted the euro charge into dollars using the "Dynamic Currency Conversion" scam, which added about 5% to the cost. I complained, and Avis replied that I had agreed to use DCC. Turned out it was buried in the T&C that were NOT a part of the contract you signed at the counter.

I don't know if they still pull that scam, but you might want to (a) ask for a copy of those additional T&C, and (b) ask whether they intend to apply DCC and if they say they do, I'd write across the contract above my signature "DCC NOT accepted" or some such.

9. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a surprise, Counsellor! I know that I've seen in my Avis Preferred details page a place to accept DCC on 'ALL rentals outside the USA.' Because I have 2 no-forex-fee Chase cards & a Starwood Amex, I've rejected it.

Counsellor likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nonetheless, I'd check anyway. They can always argue that your contract is "later in time" and thus trumps your earlier choice.

11. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been a common practice with quite a few rental car companies. I noticed this back in 1994, when I lived in Germany. I would call a 1-800 # in the US and rent a car in Germany. When I picked up the car at a German location the Associates would look at me and say: "how did you get this rate?" If I would have booked the car directly in Germany the rate would have been approx. 3x as much and NOT incl. unlimited mileage. Ever since I compare and look in from different (location) sites. Sometimes good to clear your account history (cache) It often works vv.

12. MildSoft05

MildSoft05 Member

Status Points:
    I have known Avis here in our place so long and Its quite popular. Anyway, Thanks for sharing your experiences at least I'm informed about its kind of services.