Expedia Rewards

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by sinfonia, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sinfonia
    Original Member

sinfonia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expedia is testing out a beta rewards program called simply Expedia Rewards (phasing out Thank You points). It has not officially launched but you can sign up here and have points earned now count in the future.

joesmoe likes this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to see a cash + points option for redemption of airline tickets.

arkleseizure likes this.
  3. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you points are still alive; Expedia has stopped allowing redemptions using TYP. Now if only Expedia would be a bit more clear about what the points will actually be good for.

4. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link! Though it will be interesting to see the award chart.

5. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess that we'll see a points to cash exchange rate program a la VX Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue or Southwest's Rapid Rewards 2.0 with exchange rates anywhere from $.01-$.02 per point. It really wouldn't make financial sense for them to offer anything more that that and it won't take much to differentiate them from other travel sites.

However since this program is stack-able with the award miles you'd already be getting from your air carrier and credit card company from the purchase, it really can't hurt!

For example assuming you earn at a rate of around 2 pts per dollar spent on Expedia, for a $400 United flight from IAD-LAX-IAD you'd get at least:

$400 spent = 800 Expedia points + 400 CC miles + 4576 United Miles.

If the points end up bein worth 2 cents each then you've basically gotten a $16 rebate on the purchase price of your ticket. Which for just booking with Expedia is a great deal!

6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, gave it a sign up.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got an email from Expedia telling me that I had qualified for Elite Plus. ($10K/year or 15 hotel nights.) Free upgrades at "VIP Access hotels" but I don't know which ones those are yet.

Oh well, another elite card in the drawer! :)

joesmoe likes this.
  8. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    Elite is great for their dedicated phone number.

joesmoe likes this.
  9. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I beat ya to the punch by about 3 hours, Ric :)
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...am-launches-and-reveals-its-redemption-chart/

Seriously very glad to see this development, it's certainly an improvement for folks booking airfare through Expedia though it's not the most rewarding program for folks booking hotels through online agencies.

Been an Expedia VIP since that program started, and was a VIP in the previous program as well. Not that rewarding, the VIP offering only gets you a decent phone number. Other benefits have even already been removed from the program like the paid Mileage Manager benefit.

It takes a lot of airfare spend to get rewards, but amounts to a 1% to 2% rebate on sandalone air/hotel spend when using your points on Expedia Special Rate hotels.

11. intnik

intnik New Member

Status Points:
    hi all,

i have been using the new Expedia rewards program and it was very promising. that is until they decided to add a 30% margin on their program...

before: 100 Expedia points would give $1 to spend on reward flight
    NOW: 100 Expedia points would give you $0.7 to spend on reward flight - 30% less than before = 30% profit margin for Exedia.

Thank you for the "reward" expedia, you now have the most useless reward programme in the US.

gleff likes this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    They reduced points earning too :(

Used to earn 1 point per dollar on air only bookings, now it's 1 point per 2 dollars.