Expedia Purchases code as *A

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Muerl, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just thought I would mention this here.

My fiancée and I are traveling to the Azores for a long weekend this summer for her birthday, and I bought a package (Airfare and Hotel) from Expedia. There is only really 1 airline to get there from the US, SATA International, which flies direct from Boston.

Anyway, the flight is a codeshare with TAP who is *A, so I chose that option (despite being the same flight Expedia thought it was different).

I payed using My Mileage Plus Visa which offers double miles for *A purchases, and the actual tickets came across on my statement as TAP and I just received double miles for them when my statement closed.

As always ymmv but I thought it was a trick worth mentioning.

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that it will post as a transaction from the ticketing carrier so that's not particularly surprising. But don't expect to earn any points as those are governed by the operating carrier.

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't, It seems that The Azores are a "no good way to get points" destination from the US.