Expectations for upgrades on becoming Executive Platinum

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by slalom, Sep 26, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been taking frequent overnight flights from the west coast, usually LAX or SFO to the East (MIA, EWR, BOS and sometimes through PHX).

As a Platinum, I have yet to be upgraded once despite always requesting and having plenty of upgrades available, and have become accustomed to trying to catch some sleep in economy.

This week, I should hit Executive Platinum....I realize that I'm departing from extremely busy AA hubs - but should my expectations for getting upgraded change?

Betty Boop likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your odds go up for sure. But buying the bigger seat is really where it is at. AA is no different than UA or DL in doing its best to sell those seats. Upgrades are mostly an afterthought.

tommy777 and Betty Boop like this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience. Flying LAX to BOS. And I have been explt for years.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hub-Hub cross-country (i.e. long distance) flights between business centers? Any regulars on those flights are likely EXPs. A lot depends on how far in advance you buy your tickets, and what days you are flying. The other factor of course is routes (out of MSP there are commonly empty seats and nonrevs in F much of the time - I'd even gotten operational upgrades when I was an AA gold, even when not requesting upgrades.), but it seems like you're locked in to competitive ones.

brodyf likes this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    With revenue being the key now, advanced booking is no longer a factor. You will get more than zero probably, but not as many as you think you might depending on your flight times. First and last flights out seem to have better luck for me than the sweet spots where people tend to prefer to fly.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    revenue upgrade prioritization was announced for "later in 2017". My understanding is that time of request is still important until then.

flyforawg likes this.