Expectations for upgrades on becoming Executive Platinum

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by slalom, Sep 26, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been taking frequent overnight flights from the west coast, usually LAX or SFO to the East (MIA, EWR, BOS and sometimes through PHX).

As a Platinum, I have yet to be upgraded once despite always requesting and having plenty of upgrades available, and have become accustomed to trying to catch some sleep in economy.

This week, I should hit Executive Platinum....I realize that I'm departing from extremely busy AA hubs - but should my expectations for getting upgraded change?

Betty Boop likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your odds go up for sure. But buying the bigger seat is really where it is at. AA is no different than UA or DL in doing its best to sell those seats. Upgrades are mostly an afterthought.

tommy777 and Betty Boop like this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience. Flying LAX to BOS. And I have been explt for years.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hub-Hub cross-country (i.e. long distance) flights between business centers? Any regulars on those flights are likely EXPs. A lot depends on how far in advance you buy your tickets, and what days you are flying. The other factor of course is routes (out of MSP there are commonly empty seats and nonrevs in F much of the time - I'd even gotten operational upgrades when I was an AA gold, even when not requesting upgrades.), but it seems like you're locked in to competitive ones.

brodyf likes this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    With revenue being the key now, advanced booking is no longer a factor. You will get more than zero probably, but not as many as you think you might depending on your flight times. First and last flights out seem to have better luck for me than the sweet spots where people tend to prefer to fly.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    revenue upgrade prioritization was announced for "later in 2017". My understanding is that time of request is still important until then.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. f4free

f4free Active Member

Status Points:
    Nearly all my flights are transatlantic to Miami and them Miami to Medellin, so far have not even had a signle domestic flight but perhaps next three months it could change. I wonder what avg spend is and where I will end up after they make that happen change.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live at MDE, and I have been buying my premium cabin seating on almost every flight. CPUs are unusual on most domestic rou†es, but I do fly a few where they are quite reliable. Unless connected to an international itinerary, I'll buy the cheapest seat on those.

It does seem that some folks are receiving CPUs between MDE and MIA, but judging from the seat change beggars I run into, I'll keep paying and sitting where I choose and prefer.

9. f4free

f4free Active Member

Status Points:
    How would you get a cpu MIA to MDE? I tried to wait list and I was told it is excluded, Mexico yes but Colombia no. I pay for I-class sometimes but often is too much for us. And MCE is fine too is not so far.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The folks that I have seen with late upgrades may have applied SWUs. They are rarely available at booking for this route, but they surely apply them if any J seats remain open on day of departure.

I do always buy the J (or least expensive version of Business) so that I don't have to worry about it, earn the extra EQMs and hit my status by flying fewer actual miles. I leave the CPUs to Copa, and I really prefer them, anyway.

My CPU success rate on CM remains at 100%, and they treat me like a real Elite. PTY is a much easier connection point than MIA on AA, too. If only they flew to more U.S. destinations.

Flight planning to keep status has certainly become more challenging over recent years.

11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mention this route, so here's my experience: I have five segments MIA-LAX or reverse coming up in Jan and Feb, all on the 32B :)(), and the first one on 19 Jan only shows F2 right now. All of my other flights have more seats unavailable than available this far out. Luckily they are all part of international J travel so I book into the F cabin, but that says to me that upgrades are hard to come by. You might try to find the 772 that sometimes flies that route (or used to, I'm not sure if it's still an option), but even as EXP your chances to upgrade are slim.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are so many international J & F flyers coming in through MIA and connecting that I quickly learned to simply pay for my F seat or sit in Y. Any hub-to-hub is going to be challenging, so with MIA-LAX you have both incoming pax connecting from the south and Europe combined with outgoing pax connecting to Asia and Australia. It's as close to impossible as any route on the map.

13. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience! Occasionally upgraded on MIA-LAX during the day, but yet to be upgraded on a dozen or so LAX-MIA red-eyes!

flyforawg likes this.
  14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was surprised myself that LAX-MIA was so tough for a red eye. My one data point can be added to this observation.