Expanded codeshare with Virgin Australia (formerly Virgin Blue)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by bta, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen this posted here yet. Apparently Delta is expanding their codeshare agreement.

From Business Travel Guru:

The expanded code share agreement will mean V Australia now codes on flights from Los Angeles to:

• New York
    • Atlanta
    • Orlando
    • San Francisco
    • Detroit
    • Las Vegas
    Delta will now code on flights from Sydney to:

• Brisbane
    • Canberra
    • Adelaide
    • Melbourne
    • Auckland
    • Perth
    • Christchurch
    Note: Virgin Blue and Delta are currently awaiting a decision from the US Department of Transportation on their application for antitrust immunity.

http://biztravelguru.com/blogs/airl...e-australia-expands-code-share-agreement.aspx

I'm very curious how this will effect V Australia bookings, as I was assuming I'd have to make other arrangements for domestic and trans-Tasman flights on my upcoming V Australia redemption using Delta miles. Any thoughts?

DeltaExpert and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping this will make a redemption of Delta miles easier to Melbourne. Planning a trip there in December to visit my brother!

n301dp and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a symbol of a closer partnership, but it doesn't directly affect availability buckets positively. In fact, the codeshare might have the opposite impact if award seats mush come from DL's codeshare inventory, of course in the award inventory bucket, although it this happens, then there could be medium and high award seats on these routes. I'm not convinced that this is a good thing.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. I have yet to try and redeem miles for award seats. I have done the pay with miles thing and used a lot of DL vouchers. I need to definitely brush up with all the informaiton on MP and FT!

5. opushomes
    Original Member

opushomes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure it matters. After trying a large number of permutations to get to Australia including VAustralia about the best response I got from multiple agents was, "never heard of them". Award availability seems on a par with Delta's down under (even from a gateway). Has anyone gotten a V Australia Business Class award??

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have. It was a simple booking. The agent didn't know what V Australia was, but she looked into it, and as I fed her the info I had, it took maybe 15 minutes or so .

More info on my experiences with booking process in my blog: http://upgrd.com/blogs/will-fly-for-food/booking-business-on-v-australia-using-delta-miles.html

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news for Delta fliers!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the details or how easy it was, but I've read about multiple people saying that they got to Australia using a DL award ticket on V Australia. I don't know how good their business class would be.

9. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can only make it to SYD, flying to MEL is incredibly affordable (when I went, ~$100AUD each way), with 4 competing airlines to choose, plus REX, if you feel like connecting somewhere out of the way. :p