Expandable & Collapsible Luggage

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by MLW20, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today posted a short article about some exciting, new luggage shown at the 2012 Travel Goods Show in Las Vegas. Collapsible and expandable luggage brought the greatest interest and also won awards at the show.

Find out more on my blog

Espan likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't get a chance to attend the show, but the collapsible seems to be nice if you need to store the luggage for a while. But the hybrids with a soft top and hard bottom will work just as well. Don't know yet how reliable the folding mechanism is. Might be good for those who live in a small place and need the extra room. But I think that many on here just don't need to store their luggage long enough to go that route.

MLW20 and Espan like this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    agree w/ all the above. The Samsonite compressor technology looks most interesting to me.

MLW20 likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any recommendations for a good carry-on wheelie that won't break the bank?

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I don't. I use a decent carryon that looks somewhat like a gym bag that fits under the seat in front. It has enough room for a couple of shirts, a spare set of trousers or shorts, several pockets for underwear and socks, space for noise cancelling headphones and chargers, a small dopp kit (I have gotten to the point that I just assume the hotel at the other end of the flight will have shampoo and soap), with a front pocket for camera, phone, and itinerary.

for rollaboard, the best is still Travelpro Crew. But it can break the bank. Although for durability, ZEROHalliburton still makes the best, but if you can find an older one, they are fantastic. (but really pricy)

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    While certainly not state of the art, the best large suitcases I ever had were an old pair of Samsonites that had a hard bottom and soft/expandable top.... I cant remember the model but they were simply the best, very flexible to different load sizes and heavy duty..... I wish Samsonite still made them.