EXP Status Match Question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KenInEscazu, Jul 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a status match offer from AA to match my UA 1K status with EXP for 90 days with some requirements that are unstated until I sign up. My first AA flight is on August 11th, so if I want that flight to count, I need to start the ball rolling by accepting the match right away. Currently, I only have the paperwork, but I have not submitted it.

Here is my problem. I still want to earn the last 17,000 miles I'll need this year to make 1K in MileagePlus for 2015. Most of my travel is already booked until mid September, and the mileage earning from those flights is calculated into what I still need to add. Copa is my favorite airline for USA access from and to Latin America where I live, so I want to enjoy one last year of 1K status when I fly them next year, as I plan to continue doing in the mix with AA.

What does AA typically require during the 90 day qualification period to maintain EXP status through 2/29/2016? I have a 13,XXX mile trip to book which will take place in Sept./Oct. that I can book on either AA or UA, but this August trip is only 1100 miles. I don't want to start the match too soon, then have to choose between keeping 1K and qualifying to keep EXP for the 2015 program year. I have less flexibility this year to do MRs than I normally have, or it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share here.

2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This type of 90-day match usually requires 25,000 EQPs (Elite Qualifying Points) to qualify.

EQPs are based on booking class, ranging from 0.5–1.5 EQP per EQM. Higher class fares, (e.g., F, A, P, J, I, Y, B, W, etc.) earn higher EQPs per flight. Upgraded flights are credited based on the originally purchased booking class.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying deep discount economy like me, it will take 50,000 miles to earn 25,000 points, so you would need to do some serious AA flying in those 90 days. The EXP challenge requires significantly more points than the Platinum (10,000) or Gold (5,000) challenge because it provides significantly more benefits and historically has only been available to 1K flyers at UA (at no cost from the reports I've followed).

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I'm going to be best served to start the challenge with the new year so I can finish earning my 2015 1K on the cheap, finish the year burning M+ miles and start the new year with buying expensive AA tickets that will help me to qualify for another year more easily, as well. I won't fly 50,000 miles, but I don't mind buying J and F tickets for 90 days to make the transition.

That may give me enough of a head start to still easily make Gold on M+ with my Copa flights, which is my minimum realistic goal. I have endured UA for this long, so I can certainly live through the extra 3 months of minimal UA domestic flying that will be required to get the 17,000 miles I need. My Copa flights to and from will earn the bulk of it.

Excellent. Plan now set. Action is all that follows. I knew I could count on my fellow MPers, as usual. How did I ever fly without you? :)

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course the caveat is that if you start in the beginning of a new year, the matched status will only last through that year (i.e. you'll need to reach usual qualification criteria in 2015). Not an issue if you plan to switch fully at that point, but something to keep in mind.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless I find AA to be as bad as UA during the challenge period, I do indeed plan to make the switch. My posts could have been a bit clearer, but my plan is to be AAdvantage EXP and MileagePlus Gold. The M+ Gold is only because I still want to have the option to choose between AA and CM when flying in and out of Latin America without losing my most highly valued benefit there, baggage: 3 x 70.

I do realize that I'm going to have to pay extra for the bags on AA, but they aren't usually fully loaded until the return to Latin America, so if I can make most of those on CM, I'll still be out very little extra dinero with the switch at year's end.

I'm under no illusion that there is no perfect airline, so I'm really just looking for an improvement in overall service and fewer miserable long-haul RJ flights. I've been following the AA threads here and on TOBB, and it appears that this is going to be a positive move. I wouldn't have believed it 5 years ago when I left AA for CO, but times change. It's time to change with them - again.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've been flying United for a long time, and gotten to 1K many of those years, you maybe nearing Million Miler status, which carries lifetime Gold as a benefit.

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've been flying United or CO for a long time, and gotten to 1K many of those years, you may be nearing Million Miler status, which carries lifetime Gold as a benefit.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DO note just because you're ready to go for a challenge doesn't mean there will be one available at the time of request.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got this targeted offer to purchase up to 15K PQMs by July 31, which may be the sort of alternatives that can solve your problem...

PQM.png

...however, the cost is 13cpm and the purchase does not earn PQDs. I just compared the offer with the rates that I am being offered in conjunction with my two booked trips (one to ICN and the other to HNL) and at 9.1cpm both would be better than purchasing through this targeted offer.

Not good for me but it might solve your problem...

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Ken is returning to is "roots." He started out with AA then dumped them because he was unhappy on the dAArk side. Now he is about to do the reverse trek back to the dAArk side...:)

Although I am quite unhappy with the direction that UA and M+ have taken, I have been flying almost exclusively with UA for over a decade and will be only about 150K miles shy of MM after 2014. I will be 1K next year during the transition and will try to make 1MM, after which if things are as bad as I believe they will be, I will quit the FF game with lifetime Premier Gold/*G status. I would then start flying with any airline that offers me the best value, initially with *A carriers that would not have converted to the revenue system, and then with any best-value carrier if everyone goes completely to the r-b.s.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you plan on spending most of your time (and $$) on AA next year, is it actually worth spending $$ this year on reaching UA 1K status for next year when you will have limited opportunity to benefit from it?

KenInEscazu and Counsellor like this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only because I will still be flying Copa in addition to AA. Being 1K on Copa still has a lot of benefits, and they have already indicated that they will continue into 2015. After that, I'll have to settle for EXP on AA and Gold on Copa, but that assumes that Copa stays with M+ after 2015. I'm not sure when their M+ contract runs out, either 2015 or 2016, but I have a feeling they will be saying goodbye when it does. Just my gut. No inside knowledge.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that it would take a lot of flying or cost quite a bit to make and then maintain both AA EXP and M+/Copa Premier Gold...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    KenInEscazu likes this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the status match period, beginning with a paid F flight on Nov. 1, it looks like I'm going to have to book all I, A, P and W class fares to qualify during those particular 90 days, but....

I'm basing that on those fares crediting 1 mile = 1.5 EQP. I don't have a clue whether or not that is accurate. Surely that will have to be the minimum EQP credited for what I'll be paying for those flights. :eek: I'm hoping this crowd will be able to chime in with some clarification to help me make the best choices. May I ask for some experienced feedback on that topic, please?

The decision to start in November rather than wait until January is my belief (not any guarantee, as noted by davef139) that the match will still be available by late October when I submit my paperwork, but they could easily change the deal if I try to wait until January. The numbers of 1Ks wanting to jump ship, in my estimation, is likely to increase at the beginning of 2015, thus less of a need to lure us over.

I can't say that I'm excited about the switch, by any means. In fact, it's a little scary, as I haven't flown AA in a long time, and never as an EXP. I'm surprised by how difficult I found it to make a change to uncharted territory, but the only RJ flights I'll have during the 90 day challenge (the W fares) are between ORD and FSD. I think RJs are it since I must go there. Otherwise, MD80s will be the smallest aircraft I'll have to get on. At least I won't have to worry about UGs, as I'll be paying for those seats up front. There is some value to that.

16. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    KenInEscazu likes this.
  17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm OK. I bought a P fare by simply choosing the First Class flight I wanted (by schedule - they were all the same price) and it booked as a P. It wasn't an economy-up by my understanding, as it was in that far right hand column. Is that correct?

One thing I saw on that link that I dislike is that business only earns a 25% class of service bonus. I'll be living in MDE, thus flying out of there in I class a lot, I suspect. That's really just domestic F marketed as an international J.

Too early to tell. I'm sure that the scale will tip back and forth a lot as I learn the ropes. It definitely tips in their favor with fewer RJs and more service in the SE USA. I go all over the country to see customers. United doesn't seem to understand that there is a lot of business in the SE, and there are some places to which one simply cannot fly from one point of service to another without connecting though IAH, ORD or EWR, and paying for all that distance while still flying all miserable RJs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  18. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all W fares are 1.5 EQP i think only partnered. Odds of challenge going away by Nov is really high, the big focus will shift from attracting new fliers to keeping and making sure integration goes well. they haven't even announced any changes if any yet.