EXP on a Europe trip

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you purchase a SWU coupon fora second person? Like the 500 mile?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sadly, no.

But you can upgrade with miles, upgrade with miles and a co-pay, or hope for a counter upgrade (internationally when you check in there may be a sign offering an upgrade for a fee. Not that common at all).

3. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is miles+copay only available for elite or open to everyone? I didnt know that AA have miles+copay, I know the old NW is notorius for it.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's open to anyone. Here's the AA upgrade chart for mileage upgrades (full fare) and for miles+co-pay (discount Y): LINK.

If you happen to be on BA or IB metal, here's the chart for that: LINK.

kyunbit likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is correct. In about fifteen years as a top tier NW elite, I always used miles to upgrade on international flights and I never did a co-pay, although especially in later years some cheap fares could not be upgraded. The fare difference typically had been $100-200 IME until just before the merger the minimum fare, for instance for a NRT or SIN TPAC RT upgrade was in the $2000-2300 range, then DL jacked immediately jacked it up to $3000 and now it tends to be $5000-5500.

6. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same experience here. And the main reason I was a loyal NW flyer. A B-fare to Europe was only a couple of hundred dollars more than the cheapest T-fare. And just prior to the DL take-under, top tier flyers received a lot of phantom upgrades to J. After the take-under, however, phantom upgrades were a thing of the past and, most importantly, even an M-fare was priced way out of reach. Small wonder so many NW Elites seem to have shifted their business to AA.

rwoman likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always been an DL elite...and some of that biz has gone to AA...even to fortress ATL, which is a little weird...

;)