Exit seats

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mirahamdy, Feb 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Mirahamdy

Mirahamdy New Member

Status Points:
    I Do not get it?
    As far as i am aware, Exit seats can not be assigned to people who can not help if the plane face an emergency situation ... There are rules for passengers who could be seated there (spoken language & ability to understan, communicate, guide others, heath, age, ......). So, how it is possible incounter twice in 3 month a situation where exit seats were given to aged couples who can barely stand straight.
    If we consider the logic , ... and the safety of those couple + the safety of the others I do not think I might understand how could this happenin staff !

2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    All they have to do is to say that they are capable of operating the exit door in case of the emergency. There're no "tests" prior to the exit seats assignment.

3. Judy905

Judy905 Active Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree with you that people in exit row seats should understand they do need to help in an emergency. I have "been there, done that" in a plane where the landing gear collapsed unexpectedly on landing. The two strapping young men seated in the exit seats managed to screw up and block the exit with the door. It was left to me and my teen daughter to unblock the door so people could get out. I'm not sure how old the "aged couples" were, but I'm 70, lift my suitcase in the overhead bin and am well able to deal with opening an emergency exit door. Instead of just asking people if they're willing to help, maybe they should ask, "do you know if the door should be pushed out of the plane or pulled in,out of the way."

blackjack-21 and LarryInNYC like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those "aged people", but I stand straight and I can still lift up a 50+ pound exit row door outside of the aircraft or on a seat as required. Can you?? Perhaps more emphasis should be put on the ability of someone to read and understand the exit row seatback card and instructions which differ by various aircraft models, and understand the crew's announcements, usually in English, and as I noted in another thread on here, being old enough to sit in those rows even with their parents, which in some cases isn't followed.

You can't always judge a book by its cover.

Judy905 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are lots of old classics ;)

foxberg, Counsellor and blackjack-21 like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be very old, and not much of a classic, but EVERYTHING still works. ;)

7. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel the near future all airlines should consider qualifications more details for the extra row seats!! It's there for everyone's safety! I i've been flying over 45 years and I still read the exit Row card seat !!

blackjack-21 and foxberg like this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, t here is a minimum age requirement but no maximum. FWIW, my Dad is 72, works out every day and is in better shape than most 50 y/o guys I know. (And, he worked as a mechanic for TWA for 38 years, so I actually doubly there would be any on-board situation he couldn't handle.)

blackjack-21, flynow and foxberg like this.
  9. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great titties in shape at that age. I'll get older every day we just got to take care of her health to live long as we can . So let's keep on flying and traveling !!!!

10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh?

11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    72 is not old, till you set down...I should know...

blackjack-21 likes this.
  12. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    We took my 89 year old Father-in-law to Hawaii from the West coast and he almost got kicked out of his exit row seat because his hearing aid was turned off (and he didn't respond yes to the flight attendant). On the other hand, he still walks 18 holes at his club 2-3 times a week, and would be a big asset in opening the emergency doors as a retired engineer. (and you should feel his grip when he shakes your hand)

13. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As should I, numerically speaking, identical.