Executive Platinum VIP one way upgrades put in the same "bucket" as regular upgrades?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Earl Elms, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Earl Elms

Earl Elms Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why are Executive Platinum VIP one way upgrades put in the same "bucket" as regular upgrades and not give a priority? Everytime I call for a VIP I'm told they are "preferred" but not really given preferential treatment to other people on the list. Also, why cannot I not find out where I stand on the upgrade list for international so I have an idea whether or not I may get upgraded. Sometimes AA would actually make more money as I would switch pay the change fees, and fare differences to a flight with upgrades avilable if I knew I were way down the list!

Wurm, demkr, travelinmike33 and 2 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like (on your first post).

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Earl!

For an in depth look at how AA treats SWUs (VIP is the old term), take a look at this link that gives a lot of detail.

For a quick answer, here are some quotes:

"Systemwide Upgrades can clear at anytime from the time of booking until the door closes. Waitlisted SWUs are prioritized in the order of Elite Status and then by time of booking. For bookings with multiple passengers, and specifically when using SWUs, the priority is set by the highest tiered member."

"However, things change once you go on the airport priority list (PALL). Executive Platinum members using SWUs are prioritized in one group among other EXPs, ordered by time of Check In. Everyone else using a SWU will be listed *behind* PLT and GLD members using miles to upgrade, and by time of Check-In within that grouping."

To summarize: as an Executive Platinum (EXP) you are pretty much at the top of the upgrade list. You are only behind any other EXPs who have requested the use of a SWU before you, so you actually do have quite a bit of priority. Again, there are some nuances that complicate the matter, but they are outlined in the link above.

Your complaint about seeing your position on the upgrade list is a common one with regards to SWU use. Perhaps it's a question you'd like to post to Maya Leibman, President of the AAdvantage loyalty program. MilePoint is hosting a live chat with her on May 4. You can find information on asking questions or viewing the chat here.

It sounds like you are having trouble using your SWUs, which seems to go contrary to most EXPs experiences. I've never *not* cleared a SWU. Ever. I know that here and on other similar websites most EXPs report upgrade success in the 90% range for the most part. How far in advance are you booking your tickets?

From a techincal standpoint, I'd also recommend that in the future you use the "Title" feature on your posts to give a short description of what your post will be about. It looks like you've typed your full name into that area, so I've asked a site administrator to correct it since you currentlyc can't edit your own titles. Again, from one EXP to another, welcome to MilePoint and feel free to throw out any questions you have! :)

gleff likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one reason I find Expert Flyer to be worth its cost. Being able to pick flights where eVIP upgrade availability exists is essential to me!

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    EF is good for this. You can also just ask AA on the phone if SWU/VIP upgrade space is available before booking your flight.

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it correct that VIP upgrades are booked into A inventory?

Well, I requested for upgrades via the phone (and cleared right away) and the itinerary now reflects seats booked into A class. However, it has been 24 hours and it has not yet been ticketed (status on top still says "Purchased" instead of "Ticketed"). Should I be worried? Trip is this Saturday.