Executive Platinum Challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by skit53, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm writing to see if anyone (including the AA rep here on MP) has any recent information on whether the Executive Platinum challenge exists today. My family relative is a UA/CO 1K and is looking to move over to AA (hit 100k miles already this year and still has more flying to do).

A phone call to AA told me that the PLT challenge is as high as it gets, although try writing an email and see if someone will make an exception. I've written an email to the general AA contact and was told to contact the AAdvantage program. Since my latest email to AAdvantage, I have yet to receive a response.

Anyone know if the AA Exec Plat desk make case by case exceptions? If so, what's the best communication method to in touch with AA? Any information would be nice, thanks!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There's a 4 page thread on this forum that gives a pretty long account of AA's challenges, including the EXP Challenge that was offered earlier this year: LINK.

The quick summary though: The EXP Challenge was offered for a limited time and was discontinued with the possibility of popping up again in the future. As far as any confirmation of someone getting accepted or an exception since the date it was shut down, I've heard of no one who was successful.

Good luck though, and if you hear something different from your email, please share with us. :)

skit53 likes this.
  3. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll definetly post back when (if) I hear back.

I'm aware of the EXP challenge from earlier. In my case, it seems like it's definitely more of a case-by-case situation. I was hoping, with AA's involvement here on MP, that this thread might catch their eye. ;)

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Haha, it's risky asking your brand new girlfriend for a favor so quickly..... :D

gemac likes this.
  5. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Risky, but totally worth a shot! ;)

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I'm old fashioned on things like this, but this is one where I think writing and mailing (you remember, with a stamp?) a letter could help. Attach a print out of their UA statement showing over 100k of flights ytd and give a good reason for wanting the status match (or challenge). (I'd ask for a match.) In terms of good reason, perhaps you will be traveling a lot in a market where UA and AA compete (JFK-lax, SFO-ord, among others) and that the author's friends have really raved about AA.

If they've had UA 1k status for a number of years, that's worth highlighting too. Estimate (high) how much revenue you could throw AA's way over the coming months and years.

Make a compelling business ... And assuming the letter gets in the right hands ... You've at least got a shot. Only costs a stamp and a little time to find out.