Executive First Suites -- worth it?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by SFOCanuck, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning reward travel from SFO-YYZ in J. I'm looking for some advice on routing and/or equipment strategy.

On my outbound leg, I'm probably going to end up routing on a UA or CO transcon (less fees) connecting to a short haul. Any suggestions on routings/equipment to try to pick or avoid? I have not flown transcon F on UA or CO, so I don't know which is better, or if there are planes to avoid (i.e. 737s?).

On the return I intend to depart YYZ on AC metal (extra baggage allowance). Is it worth trying to route through LAX or YVR to travel on the 763 because of the suites? Or are the 319/320s that AC flies from YYZ to everywhere in the west just as comfortable for a daytime trip?

Thanks in advance!

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're paying for these flights by all means go for a pod. There will be no comparison with the UA flights you'll have in F both seat and service-wise, AC is far superior. And with AC you'll have lounge access, something you won't with your UA flights, unless you're STARGold with a non-American STAR carrier's program.

3. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a daytime trip I find the regular J seats on the 319/320s are fine. In my mind it's not worth the extra time and hassle of a connection just to get a pod for this length of trip.

Your concern about fees is a reasonable one. I'm flying YYZ-LHR on CO this summer and saving nearly $500 per person in fees vs. AC.

Have a great trip!

maradori likes this.
  4. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, but if you do something like YYZ-LAX-SFO, I believe you might need to reclear security at LAX? I'm not aware of any airside shuttle buses between terminals? (then again, anytime I go to LAX, I'm on a connecting flight away as quickly as possible -- that airport sucks the life out of you)

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point -- I'd forgotten about that. That said, you have to go through security again (though not change change terminals) if you connect in YVR or YYC. In terms of ease of connection, a US airport other than LAX is probably my best bet.

Then again, given Aeroplan availability, I'll probably be looking at a pretty lengthy layover no matter how I do it, so I'll probably have plenty of time!

East_Yorker likes this.