Executive Aisle: A Marketing Blunder?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by frequentflyer, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am often disappointed in the car when I rent from Hertz. That's because it's my budget so the car type/class is my choice. National, however, let's me choose from among the autos parked in the Executive aisle. Full of anticipation, it is a letdown to see multiple Nissans and others of its ilk. There's seldom a gem, a true find, among them. National sets me up and then lets me down because what I end up with is little different from my own choice from Hertz. What I'm saying is with Hertz I disappoint myself but it feels that National puts me in a mindset that has them disappoint me.

mo26 and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    So 6 or 1/2 dozen? ;)

Max M and mo26 like this.
  3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:

I find myself a little depressed at how accurate that statement is....

For one thing i'm genuinely surprised at how Hertz can keep winning awards considering how thoroughly unimpressed i've been with every aspect of a Hertz rental.

I recently shifted my business from National (Exec Elite) to Avis (First), and i'm always pleasantly surprised with the treatment I receive :)

-MO

gregm likes this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    At certain airports I've noticed no different treatment as a National Executive Elite the past 2 years, as compared to plain old Emerald Club.

Same car selection, same level of service.

mo26 likes this.
  5. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:

In four years as an executive elite, I have NEVER been treated any better.

That being said, I get a lot of value from their program (free one-ways are huge for me), and a free day after 5 rentals (where award days also count) is nice.

Do I wish the aisle's had better selections, of course. Still a good program, but now when it's even-money, i'm at Avis.

-MO

6. unclebripa

unclebripa Active Member

Status Points:
    This is my first year as an Executive level member and I too am disappointed with the selections I've found thus far. I have no complaints about the service, which has always been excellent in my dealings with National over the past 15 years of using them (including when I smashed up one of their minivans).

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget you don't have to choose from the Executive Aisle. You can also pick from the Emerald Aisle. And from pretty much anywhere else other than the luxury class vehicles. As long as it's reasonable and within a class or two of what I reserved they've never turned me down.

8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been far more impressed with National than Hertz or Avis. I went through a string of Avis issues as an Avis First member, including being stranded at a train station in rural England with no car, because Avis "ran out of cars"; seems akin to a bakery running out of bread to me.

National has never let me down, and the service has always been there with a smile. I've had mixed experiences with the selection. When I landed at SFO a few months back, the Executive aisle was filled with Escalades, Chargers, and Camaros and a bunch of other stuff. I've also gotten a bunch of brand new VW's over the last year or so (most recently with only 1200 miles on the clock). I'm not really that picky as long as it's not another damn impala; I cringe when I see people actually buying those horrible Chevrolet's and Dodge's... they're all hideous.

bigx0 likes this.
  9. dmcannon99

dmcannon99 Active Member

Status Points:
    I know this is an old thread, but I often wonder why the Executive Aisle is often filled with "standard" class cars when National states that the Executive Aisle contains "full size" or better vehicles. Kind of seems like false advertising. My last two rentals I've just told them that I don't like anything in either aisle and they have brought me nicer vehicles...

10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, there mustn't be many of us who rent from National.

What keeps me dealing with them is that they just get things done, no matter what the issue might be. I don't go to their garage to be fawned-over (and they don't seem to fawn over anyone), but I do expect the cars to be clean and functional, and ready at the desired reservation time. So far, so good!

YULtide likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are probably a lot of people here renting from National - but there's only so much to say. The efficiency is second to none, tje care are of consistent decent quality, and there are fewer "gems" than there were prior to the introduction of the paid upgrade options a few years back.

mevlannen likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    In the end, a clean car is my base requirement. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles (and the major rental companies aren't that good at providing them). But, get me something clean, even if it has some miles on it, and I'll be okay.

mevlannen likes this.
  13. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spot on, Pizzaman! Four wheels, a steering-wheel, and a spare tyre, and I'm happy as a clam. When it comes to what sort of car, well, we have simple tastes out here: we have a little old rice-burning Toyota and an elderly, also small, little pickup truck for getting in the firewood (or coal, when we can get it).

Not that I am likely to be hauling coal in a rental car (although stranger things have happened), but I like something sufficiently 'non-exotic', so that I can count on being able to figure out its controls despite having shown up jet-lagged at the rental garage.

So, no Maserati for me, and instead I'd be looking for a nice Toyota (whose controls will fall naturally to my hand).

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Keep it a secret between you and I, but I've been thinking about a pickup truck to help with firewood. Little cumbersome in the SUV. ;)

I can probably live without the spare tire in the rental car (living on the edge!) but I do appreciate a USB port to charge my phone.

mevlannen likes this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can live without the spare, right until you need it.

Speaking from personal experience: Changing a tire and catching your flight home beats the heck out of waiting for roadside assistance and staying overnight another day.

Pizzaman likes this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Used to feel that way. Now, I think I'd mash the Uber button before I'd wait for the rental car company or roadside assistance to come bail me out!

That being said, it's not like I'm ditching the tire. I just think we have more options now.

17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (pre-coffee laughter) Even Cat dozers come with USB ports as standard these days.

Lack of a real spare tyre, on the other hand, now there's a safety issue. The dealer from whom we've been purchasing our string of little old Toyotas does understand, though, when we negotiate to have them add a real, right, full-sized, proper spare wheel and tyre.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Roadside assistance, as far as I am concerned, is in most cases about picking up and taking care of the car, Not helping me (other than ending my/my insurers liability). Uber is great if the car is in a safe area, uber is nearby, and I need to get somewhere, but those are not consistently the case, and at some point the car needs to be recovered and brought back to the rental agency.